Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MS mouse pointer jumping around

• Please log in to reply

mcaleck

mcaleck

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi,

I bought a MS Wireless Desktop 1000 keyboard + mouse combo a couple of months ago and recently my mouse pointer began to jump around and click by itself at a random fashion. Support for the hardware is useless, so first I tried the usual suggestions, i.e. cleaning the surface, using a different textured mousepad, reinstalling the software, scanning for malware (I know one particular malware is often thought to be responsible but nothing was found), which didn't help. So I went to the MS website and digged up this link: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321122. The premise that "This issue may occur if files from a previous installation of a pointing device are still on the computer" seems to be correct as some months ago I was using a MS Wireless Laser Mouse 8000. So I went ahead and tried to do the steps MS suggested but it's quite complicated and when I got to step four it became quite confusing, so I stopped short of removing devices (seems quite dangerous). So I was just wondering if there's any other way to work around this or should I just get down to it and try to go all the way with this hoping that MS won't mess up my PC again. Thanks for your help.

Advertisements

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Hello mcaleck & Welcome to GTG !

Tried new batteries ???

i know wireless keyboard go " Hay-wire " when they run low on batt power...

If no luck there , we can help you step by step on any issue's / queries you might have...

Best of luck !

Anthony19

mcaleck

mcaleck

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
oh, yes, i forgot to mention I tried three different sets of new batteries and that didn't help either

Edited by mcaleck, 03 April 2009 - 02:58 AM.

mcaleck

mcaleck

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
so in step 3 on the MS support website above it says:

5. Use the ARROW keys to select each subkey. Each subkey has a four-digit number. In the right pane, view the DriveDesc line. If the information to the right of the DriveDesc line indicates any kind of mouse, press DELETE to remove only that subkey. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.

does the DriverDesc entry "HID-compliant mouse" need to be also removed?

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Hello mcaleck

Quote : Warning The steps in the "Resolution" section may disable the internal pointing device on a portable computer

Is this laptop or desktop ?

Have you backed up the registry ?

Anthony19

Edited by Anthony19, 03 April 2009 - 08:16 PM.

mcaleck

mcaleck

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
no, desktop, and yes, I have

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Hello mcaleck

In that case we may proceed :)

Quote: If the information to the right of the DriveDesc line indicates any kind of mouse, press DELETE to remove only that subkey

When you have DriveDesc selected... anything to the right side that indicates any kind of mouse must be removed... "Press delete to remove ONLY THAT SUBKEY ! "( that's what you want to do )

Best of luck

Anthony19