Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Removing applications

• Please log in to reply

wdc202

wdc202

• PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
Using XP ... the listing I get when I go to Control Panel\Add or Remove Applications shows, among others:

Java 6 Update2 ..... 111 MB
Java 6 Update3 .... 111 MB
Java 6 Update5..... 114 MB
Java 6 Update7 .... 114 MB

Do I need ALL of these or can I safely remove all but Update 7?

If I remove Update 2, 3, and 5 will I really gain 111 +111 + 114 = 336 MB?

Thanks.

Advertisements

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Do this instead

Please download JavaRa to your desktop and unzip it to its own folder
  • Run JavaRa.exe, pick the language of your choice and click Select. Then click Remove Older Versions.
  • Accept any prompts.
  • Open JavaRa.exe again and select Search For Updates.
  • Select Update Using Sun Java's Website then click Search and click on the Open Webpage button. Download and install the latest Java Runtime Environment (JRE) version for your computer.

Its safe to remove older versions of Java, its what everybody should do as its a big security conflict. The above program removes all the junk that comes with it, is really helpful

edit : too slow rshaffer :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
To slow on my post. Thanks Rorschach112

Edited by rshaffer61, 03 April 2009 - 09:05 AM.

wdc202

wdc202

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
Thanks Rorshack112 for your so-fast response. I will do as you say.

But, just for my general education, let me be sure I understand you: the four files now on my PC ARE redundant and all but the latest could be erased, right?

Also ... I'm afraid I do not understand the thrust of reshaffer61's comments (jokes?). Would someone explain to me? Thank you all again for your help.

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Yes those ones you listed are redundant/useless. Your java is out of date anyway, so the program will update it around four versions. Malware exposes the vulnerability in old Java versions so you want to keep it up to date, which is what JavaRa does.

Yes that was just a little inside joke between me and rshaffer :)

wdc202

wdc202

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
Right. Thanks again.

wdc202

wdc202

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
I followed Rorshach112’s advice and have installed JavaRe and have removed my earlier versions of Java. But, I’m afraid I still need (lots of ?) handholding.

Let me backup and restate what I have done and pose four questions.

a. When I go to Help\tools\components\drives I see I have a C:drive with a capacity of 33.8 Gb and I see too that I am using all but about 600MB or have about 2% free. ( Q1: Is there a better, easier way to see how much free space I have?) I think that small margin is what is causing my system to run so slowly and erratically. So I am trying to eliminate unneeded programs.

b. When I go to CP\Add or Remove Applications I see about 25 programs listed and a size for each. The total for all 25 is about 1200MB=1.2GB. (Q2:Do these numbers look reasonable?)

c. Since I seem to be ”using” about 33GB, (Q3: WHERE are they being used?) My apps apparently are using just 1.2 GB.

d. (Q4: Where should I be looking to find space I can reclaim?)