Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Folder suddenly missing...kinda

• Please log in to reply

jester620

jester620

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
Hey guys,

Here's a new one on me... hopefully someone can point me in the right direction to get this fixed.

Issue:
I have a folder on this machine that is called "Server Files" that I have shared out across my network.
For weeks I've had no issues with it. My other machines could see it and use the files without problems.

The other day I opened up my C: and "Server Files" wasn't there... I looked for it from across the network and the network share is still there and I can browse all the files fine. So apparently the folder is somehow hidden.

Troubleshooting already attempted:
1) Multiple virus/malware scans (Avast Pro, Spybot S&D, MBAM, TrendMicro Online) - Clean
2) Chkdsk /r - No bad sectors or errors
3) From Win-R > I can type in c:\Server Files and the folder opens up fine.
4) I have run a file storage utility (SpaceMonger) and it shows Server Files taking up space - So I know it's still there physically...

Machine:
Windows XP Pro SP3
1GB RAM

Any Ideas? This is frustrating to know the folder is there and to not see it in C Drive!

Update:
If I have the folder open, I can look at the folder attributes. The folder is apparently Hidden, however the check box is grayed out and I cannot modify it to remove this attribute! It looks like this is the issue.

Edited by jester620, 03 April 2009 - 10:35 AM.

Advertisements

jester620

jester620

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
I just now got this fixed via command prompt!!!

Here's the solution:
Apparently the folder had become a hidden system folder. So while it was hidden, windows wouldn't show it in explorer because it thought the folder was a system folder that shouldn't be seen regardless of the folder options.

So I used the "attrib" command in command prompt to fix it. Here is the command:

C:\Server Files> attrib -s -h "c:\server files"

That's it! I can now see "Server Files" in c: drive and can modify the Hidden attribute from the folder properties dialog box. :)

Anyone have any ideas how this could have happened? (the other people on the network aren't..... "technical" enough to figure out how to change the system file attribute)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If you did not do it intentionally or unintentionally.
If nobody else has the knowledge to do this, then it could be a deep rooted malware.

Please go to the "Malware Forum" link in my signature below and follow the instructions at the top
Especially the "You Must Read This Before Posting A HijackThis Log".

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself.
If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty start a topic and post the requested logs in THAT forum.
Once the malware technicians have cleared out any infection and given you a clean bill of health, if the problem continues then feel free to post back here and we can investigate the problem even more.