Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

REFORMATTED THE WRONG DRIVE

• Please log in to reply

tarisea

tarisea

• Pip
  • 1 posts
So my system bit the dust. Nothing unusual there. Unfortuneately when I reformatted the hard drive, it reformatted the wrong drive. Instead of formatting C it formatted D which is my drive with all of my pictures and backups on it. And unfortunately no its not backed up.

I have tried several rescue software packages and only made the situation worse. One of the packages actually wrote some data to the drive. I have got a little back but not much.

I went to so of the pros and discovered that they are outrageously expensive and while the files are more than worth it, I just don't have the cash.

Anyone have any ideas.

Thank you.

Tarisea

This is my first post.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
Hi Tarisea and welcome to Geeks to go.

The program called "PC Inspector File recovery" has been suggester here numerous times and has worked quite well.

PC Inspector.

The program is also free.

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
PCInspector is an excellent free program, but is (IMO) pretty confusing to use.
It's available here: http://www.pcinspector.de

I like the GetDataBack tools from http://www.runtime.org
They're about $80 US - but you can run their recovery analyzer for free (so you'll know what you can recover BEFORE spending the money). They were much easier for me to use, and appeared to be as powerful as PCInspector.

They only failed me once. That was when I deleted the partition that my backup disk image resided on. It recovered the disk image (Acronis), but Acronis refused to mount the image. It stated that it was corrupted.