Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DAP, Download Accelerator Plus

• Please log in to reply

Tusan

Tusan

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Does anyone have any current information on this software. :) There are quite a few modules that install with the program but the main file is 9.1.1.1. I ran my log files through a couple of differnt automatic "HiJack this" analyzers and got suggestions to remove it and suggestions that show it to be perfectly safe. (go figure). So I was hoping for some first hand experience from somone or a suggestion on a decent freeware accelerator. :)

Edit: The only info I could find regarding this topic was almost 2 years old)).

Edited by Tusan, 03 April 2009 - 11:35 AM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Did you donwload it from Here?
If not please download it from there as that seems to be the parent company of the software

Edited by rshaffer61, 03 April 2009 - 11:42 AM.

Tusan

Tusan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Actually no I didn't. I use a program called (Advance System Care) which linked directly to the speedbit site and installed as a hook to the ASC package. You think I should remove the module and download it as a standalone product?

Thanks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Depending on if you need the module(s)
If all you need is the core program then I would.

Onaipian

Onaipian

Notepad warrior

• Retired Staff
  • 2,130 posts
I'm not sure if this is relevant, as I am slightly confused. But as for the HJT analyzers behavior, DAP has had a shadowy past, and at last check, it was still being picked up by some anti-malware products. Whether or not they have cleaned up their act really or not, I am not sure.

And another tip; HJT analyzers can often be flawed or report legit entries. If they report something being malicious, it would be best for you to check it out in the Malware Removal forum before acting.

Hope this post makes sense! (I am quite good at posting random information)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Depending on if you need the module(s)
If all you need is the core program then I would.

I should have said that if you need the DAP program then I would download it as a standalone.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
What do you need DAP for, to start with?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Something else I just realized. You said
"Does anyone have any current information on this software. There are quite a few modules that install with the program but the main file is 9.1.1.1."
I have ASC and I don't have all the modules you are describing. What browser are you using?
I agree with Broni, DAP to me is not needed with the speed that most DSL and cables internet providers have.

Edited by rshaffer61, 05 April 2009 - 07:24 PM.

Tusan

Tusan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for the responses guys. I have decided to remove this thing entirely from my system. When I ran DAP the first time the program promptly decided that I was in need of a new home page LOL. :) also the quote below made a lot of sense to me.

DAP.EXE is Download Accelerator which is a very powerful download management application but it comes at a hefty price with a dubious privacy policy and contains Adware. More information can be found from the company that brought us Spybot.

Quote:
A few versions back, Download Accelerator Plus came even without a privacy policy, and the one found in a hidden place online contained some bad terms. Today, during the installation a license agreement will be shown, and this license agreement contains a privacy policy. It's still quite misleading and contradicting though, speaking about co-registrations with other services on the one hand, but only anonymous publishing on the other hand. How a registration with other services can be done anonymously is beyond my understanding...
In addition, just starting it opens half a dozen connections to ad servers, including Cydoor. Couldn't deal with the downloads on the site I used for this tests, as it always tried to download the download page, blocking the load of it inside the browser. On other pages, it worked ok. Still, even if you neglect the ads and possible spying, there are other download managers that are easier to use.
Fix DAP.EXE Errors: Free Scan

Quote source: http://process.netwo...com/DAP.EXE.php

The other modules I was referring too are the Video Accelerator, Video Downloader, and the Speed Optimizer. Modules was probably a poor choice of words. As far as wanting a download manager, I like the fact that it opens up multiple sessions which seems to be quite a bit faster than the windows downloader. Granted I do have fios at 20 down and 5 up but its very rare that I get even close to that speed.
I am by no means a technician, I know enough to be dangerous :) so if I'm looking at this from the wrong perspective please strighten me out. I take constructive critisism well.
Regardless DAP is a goner as far as my system goes. :)

Onaipian

Onaipian

Notepad warrior

• Retired Staff
  • 2,130 posts
Good choice on the DAP! Wouldn't trust it at all.

Generally speaking, you can't really trust any of the programs that say will boost, optimize, or accelerate your system, and downloads, etc. I'd say that if your really interested in a speed boost, then the best option would be to ask for advice here or read a Microsoft article on the topic. The experts here will probably be more than happy to help.

I got a head start for you on the Microsoft site: http://www.microsoft...rted/speed.mspx

:)

Tusan

Tusan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for the link piano, I am pretty religious as far as keeping my system tuned using the methods that were mentioned in the link. I was looking to step beyond the basics into things like MTU discovery, host resolution, host caching etc. I guess I just got a bit lazy with the manager :) . Trust me in the fact that I will be combing these forums and archives for quite some time lol.