Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

from vista to xp

• Please log in to reply

patrickestes

patrickestes

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I recently bought a used laptop and it had Vista on it. I had the computer place install XP pro on it because I had not been hearing good things about Vista. Lately my system has been running very slow. takes 4-5 minutes for firefox or anything to load. I heard that some computers were designed for Vista and do not do well with XP. So I dont know if I have a processor. HDD, or OS problem. Can anyone help

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
If the computer worked well with XP after leaving the shop then there is no operating system competability problem.

There can be lots of reasons for a low performence. Start with the following:

Check that your hard disk is not too full. There should be at least 15% free space.

Run Disk Cleanup and Disk Defragmenter. If the computer is still slow go to the next step.

Switch off your modem/router. Click Start > Run. In the dialog box type msconfig and press Enter. Check Selective Mode and click Startup in the drop down menu. Uncheck Everything listed and reboot the computer. See hoe it performs now. Please note: do not switch your modem on, yet, because your antimalware programs are disabled.