Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem tring to fix the (<windows root>\system32\hal.

• Please log in to reply

Keman

Keman

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
Ok well I will be as clear as possible (Pictures included) and my problem mabey be very simple. Whenever my system (It's a gateway) boots up and it goes to load the OS (XP Pro) it comes up with this <windows root>\system32\hal.dll is missing . So I did some searching and read up on many topics talking about fixing this problem here is one of them - Link They always talk about replacing it with a copy off of the Windows CD.

I guess my first question needs to be is this the correct CD? [The CD] That is the one I am trying to use and my problem might be that I am using the wrong disk.

OK if that is the correct CD. After I click to boot from the CD I never get the option to "press R to start the Recovery Console" All I get are these - First Then Second Then Loads some stuff then goes to this Screen If I do click F2 to run the ASR This comes up and I don't even have a Floppy Drive :)

Thanks in advance and any help is Greatly Appreciated, I saw all the post that were made in just the last 24Hrs on this one Forum section, So I can see that the Helper's/Tech people must be busy.

Edit: Ofcourse I would misspell trying :) (Also this is my work PC so I will not be able to try any suggestions till monday)

Edited by Keman, 03 April 2009 - 01:23 PM.

Advertisements

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
The images that you've linked to aren't being displayed.

When the first screen comes up (after booting from the CD) there will be 3 choices. The middle choice will be to press "R" to use the Recovery Console - that's the one that you want.

During the boot process NTLDR will load (at this point there's only a black screen). And one of the things that it does is to check HAL.dll before transferring control over to ntoskrnl.exe (which is when the Windows Splash Screen loads).

There's many different reasons for the missing HAL message - replacing it is only one of the possible solutions.
A corrupted NTLDR is the most common reason IME, followed by a problem with the Boot Sector.

Also try chkdsk /r from within the Recovery Console to repair any file system errors that may be present on the disk.

Edited by usasma, 03 April 2009 - 05:14 PM.

Keman

Keman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Ugh.. I guess Imageshack doesn't want to play nice. Ok well I don't get the press "R" option mabey I have the incorrect CD can anyone tell me what the cd should say on it that I need to use?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Usasma here is the info. I can get the images. Here is the info

The cd is a Gateway Microsoft Windows Xp Professional
"First' is blue windows setup screen asking about F6 scsi third party controller
"Second" is blue windows setup screen F2 to run autmated System Recovery
"Screen" is to setup xp professional on existing partition
The choices are:
D: Partition1 [FAT32} 4408mb 604 mb free
C: Partition2 [NTFS] 148201mb 130674 mb free
Unpartitioned space 8mb

"This Comes Up" is Please insert the disk labeled ASR into the floppy drive Press any key to continue

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
Do you get this screen? Posted Image
This is the one where you press "R" (the middle choice)

Edited by usasma, 06 April 2009 - 01:58 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I hope the info helped you usasma

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
The Gateway disks that I've used all work like a regular Windows installation CD.
That will get you the screen that I posted above - where you can enter the Recovery Console by pressing "R" (the middle choice).

If that's not working for you, you can download a copy of the Recovery Console files from this link: http://usasma.vox.co...epair-isos.html And use the ISO Recorder Power Toy link there to make it into a bootable CD.

Boot from that and you'll get the screen that's posted above.

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
Duplicate post - network problems :)

Edited by usasma, 06 April 2009 - 02:24 PM.

Keman

Keman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Thanks I will try that today!

Keman

Keman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Well ok that CD did work but after I press "R" and you are suposed to choose the location for the installation of Windows you want to repair. The only option it gives me is 1: D:\MiniNT and I don't think that is it. When I try it on this computer I do get 2 options that one and a C:\Windows but I don't get that option on the one I need to fix =\ I'm not about to give up so any help is welcomed.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Rereading this thread and looking at all the images you have uploaded I just wanted usasma to know that it appears there is no windows installed on the system at this point.
I suspected when I reread my post #4 and read this again

The choices are:
D: Partition1 [FAT32} 4408mb 604 mb free
C: Partition2 [NTFS] 148201mb 130674 mb free <<<No Installation showing on boot partition
Unpartitioned space 8mb

Edited by rshaffer61, 07 April 2009 - 09:47 AM.

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
Yep, the Windows installation is missing from the choices in Recovery Console. You are right in supposing the MiniNT partition is not the correct one. It's most likely the recovery partition for the system.

There's about 18,400 mB of stuff on the C: partition - so this indicates there may be something left there.
Since you can't access the Windows installation from the Recovery Console, chances are that the installation is hosed.
Now is the time to decide if you need to backup anything from the C: partition. Further work on it may make data recovery much more difficult.

The next step would be to perform a diagnostic on your hard drive using a bootable CD available from the website of the manufacturer of your hard drive.

Afte that (presuming that the hard drive passes the diagnostics) you can attempt a repair install of XP. You can do this using the Gateway disk. Here's some more detailed instructions on how to do it: http://www.michaelst...pairinstall.htm

The repair install "should not" affect your data (if it's still there) but there are no guarantees when dealing with this level of corruption.

Keman

Keman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
ugh... I think I'm just gonna have a computer guy I know look at it and if he can't fix it I guess I'll just start from scratch.

Thanks anyway guys sorry for waisting you all's time.

Edited by Keman, 07 April 2009 - 01:00 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello Keman...

Did you ever run the disk check (chkdsk /r) as suggested earlier?

On this screen, C: Partition2 [NTFS] is your system partition. It may not be showing the Windows directory for any number of reasons, including file system corruption. Running the disk check on that partition may straighten it out...it's sure worth a shot.

Other things that can cause this are if the drive was encrypted (not likely), or if the directory were compressed (also not likely), or a missing/corrupt boot.ini file (more common).

As an FYI to all, the HAL.dll file is created during the Windows installation and is directly linked to the hardware in a machine...it is unique to each machine. Extracting the file from the cd will not work as it's not there...even though Microsoft lists it as a repair for the problem.

wannabe1

Keman

Keman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Yeah I tried the chkdsk /r and I tried to rebuild the boot.ini file I basicly tryed everything but oh well you can't win them all.