Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

messed up, not sure where this goes!

• Please log in to reply

lordelwood0

lordelwood0

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
Ok, a friend of mine has a dell inspiron 600m laptop and it doesnt conect to anything, i tried to even do a ipconfig, but theres no ip address. it wont display any icons exept in safe mode. my solution since she just wants her computer back is to wipe the os system and start again fresh, but she dosnt have the cd since she got her laptop referbrished. thanks and please help me

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Have you looked in Device manager to see if the network card is working?

Go Here
Enter the required info. See if they have original recovery or installation disk. If not there then you may have to call Dell to see if they can get one for you.

lordelwood0

lordelwood0

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
ok, i went to that site, and i found her laptop, what am i looking for there

this is where i am now
http://support.dell..../...n&TabIndex=

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That is all the drivers for the laptop. The only problem is that you have to have the original recovery or installation disk to get the system back to factory.
The disc will put the system back to how it was when it was brand new.
Try Here
It will help you find your service tag number. Then you can call Dell and see if they can supply the original disc for you.

lordelwood0

lordelwood0

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
thats nice, her suport warenty is expired... and i can call for a fee, so thats not a great solution... any other ideas? theres got to be some way to just clean it witout the cd

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Did the icons becoming ghost happened recently along with internet not working?
Was there any recent updates done or software installed?
Being that you can't see any icons in normal mode it is likely you may have a infection.

lordelwood0

lordelwood0

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
honestly, im not to sure, but im goning to transfer a bunch of scanners on and try that, thank you for your help, if anything changes ill post or pm you, wat ever works, hopefully that works

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
you can go to the malware forum and they can help you with that.
Then if you do have an infection they can help you clean them
Then you can come back here and we can work on the other stuff.
I would suggest start uninstalling unwanted software and get the system down to the barest of software.

Please go to the "Malware Forum" link in my signature below and follow the instructions at the top
Especially the "You Must Read This Before Posting A HijackThis Log".

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself.
If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty start a topic and post the requested logs in THAT forum.
Once the malware technicians have cleared out any infection and given you a clean bill of health, if the problem continues then feel free to post back here and we can investigate the problem even more.

lordelwood0

lordelwood0

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
hey, but she dosnt have hijack this, so ill see what i can do, and thank you for your help, if this dosnt fix it, ill post their, lol thisle be my third problem

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
the tutorial will supply links to all the programs needed and tell you how to run them and then what to do if the problem is not fixed

Advertisements

lordelwood0

lordelwood0

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
well, her computer is fixed... there were 18 trojans in total. ive installed avg 8.5, and a couple other antivirus software i had locked away, the only bad thing, is now my flash drive dosnt work on my computer T-T it says theres a virus in the auto run

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Do you have a AV installed on your system?
Be careful as to not infect your system

lordelwood0

lordelwood0

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
yeah, i have avg 8.5, thats whats stoping my flashdrive from working

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK I will have another tech look at the problem with the flash drive as I'm sure they can help with that. He is really good at what he does.
Also just a FYI
more then one AV running is not good. It will cause the system to slow down and could cause false reports if they run at the same time.
Geeks suggest
one each of the following to be running
AV
AntiMalware
Spyware
Firewall

There are several good ones of each out there and there are alot of them them are free.

lordelwood0

lordelwood0

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
ok, rigth now, ive only installed avg, and SUPER anti spyware