Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

starting a program with regedit

• Please log in to reply

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
If the game works with explorer as the shell, but not with taskman - I'd have to suspect that the game requires explorer.exe as the shell for some critical function.

Advertisements

Oreo Collas

Oreo Collas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
The game works just fine without explorer as the shell it just won't start on it's own. I have to ctrl + Alt + Del and start new task and run it from there. It runs just fine. I just want to get it to run on its own.

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
Create a shortcut to the game and place it in the startup folder in the Windows Start Menu. That should force it to start. It could be that the registry entry tries to start the game too soon (before enough stuff is loaded to support the game).

Does the Zone Alarm load properly?

Oreo Collas

Oreo Collas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
I changed my protection to anti-Vir so Zone alarm is no longer on my computer, but Anti-Vir starts up just fine. I tried to put a shortcut in the start up folder, but found out that the startup folder is an explorer thing so nothing in the star tup folder will start without explorer. I did notice at one point that I did have Second Life running in the processes, but the game its self never popped up. It was just running.

Oreo Collas

Oreo Collas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
If the game is trying to start too soon I'm alright with setting up a .bat file to load on startup and having it display to push any button when ready and I'll push a button to start the game. I'd rather not, but would be alright with it and would need help setting up the bat and setting the bat to start from the regedit.

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
The bat file is simple, just create a file in notepad that lists the path to the game.
I'd suggest using the 8.3 naming convention - but, if not, then use the " marks around it.

That brings something to mind - can you try the regedit thing with the 8.3 filenames instead of the quotes? I'm not sure if it's explorer.exe that's responsible for translating long filenames to the 8.3 convention or not.

Here's what I think the 8.3 path would be:

C:\Progra~1\Second~1\Second~1.exe

You can verify this using the DIR command with the /x switch from a command prompt.

Oreo Collas

Oreo Collas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
I typed dir /x and it displays the same.