Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing 98 on a limited Laptop

• Please log in to reply

samcoco

samcoco

• Pip
  • 2 posts
:tazz: A friends laptop needed wiped due to a virus. It's a Dell Latitude LM and only has one slot for either a floppy OR a cdrom. My problem is - - how do I reinstall the 98 OS. If I put the floppy in - the system doesn't see the cdromand so doesn't load the drivers. If I put the cdrom in - - it says that there is an invalid boot disk and stops. I did copy all of the boot disk floppy files to the C: drive but that's a far as I could get. HELP!!!

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
those usually came with a cable so you could attach the cd-drive externally.

Windows 98 cd is bootable, so if the CD-rom is in, it should boot unless the cd-rom does not support it.

what the model number on the LM?

samcoco

samcoco

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
TS30G - I also called about the cable - doesn't have it. The problem seems to be that since the HD is clean and the floppy in in the slot that the CD needs to be in - when the boot floppy scans the system to determine which CD driver to install, it doesn't see one and therefore doesn't load any.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
did Dell supply a special boot floppy?

What I would do is this:

Get one of these
http://sewelldirect....deconverter.asp

remove the drive from the dell--usually requires one screw removal.

Inert the drive into a desktop, then create a directory on it called OPTIONS. Copy the contents of the win98 directory from a windows cd to the drive.

Reinsert the drive into the laptop, boot with floppy.

At a: prompt, tyoe

c:\options\setup.exe

enter

windows will install from drive.

You can get those converters at radioshak for about $15 or less--or you can get an entire enclosure for about $30 at many pc hardware stores

Supergeek.dcse

Supergeek.dcse

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
using win98 boot disk make format c:/s/u hdisk that will make it boot then copy the sys file from floppy to c: and bat files bit of a pain change the drive letters from a: to c: in the bat files and config files then take out the floppy drive put in cdrom and presto it should see the drive to setup 98
DEVICE=HIMEM.SYS
device= a: \sample.sys/d:oemcd001

A :\mscdex.exe/d:oemcd001/L:d