Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Building a computer

• Please log in to reply

Oreo Collas

Oreo Collas

• PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
Hey, I saw someone post that they were going to be building a new computer recently and you guys offered some great advice so I was just wanting to see what you guys had to offer to me. I won't be building a computer till next tax return, but I was just wanting to get some ideas and an estimate on how much it would cost to build so I can plan ahead. If I get enough over time at work though, I may build one sooner. Here it goes.

The computer I have is old and falling apart so most of it if not all of it will need to go. Keyboard and mouse are good, but other than that the only thig I might consider keeping would be the 2GB of RAM and I'd only do that if I can test it to make sure they are running at 100%.

Here's my minimum system requirements. I'm needing this or better. (Probably better by the time I buy it.) I'm pulling most of these requirements off of programs that I use.

Processor: 3.0 GHz 32-bit (x86) or better
RAM: At least 2 GB preferably 4 GB or more.
Resolution: 1024x768 pixels or higher (The higher the better as far as I'm concerned.)
Graphics card: NVIDIA
7000 Series:
7600, 7800, 7900
8000 Series:
8500, 8600, 8800
GeForce Go Series:
7600, 7800, 7900
Blue Ray DVD RW
HDD: 500GB (Minimum)
PSU: 500 watt as a minimum. Preferably 750 watt
Monitor: 22" (x2)

I will not be doing any sort of over clocking, I do not have any thing that plugs in via fire wire, but would not mind it, I love lots of USB ports, and I would like to be able to run simulated operating systems on it for playing aroun, testing, and what not without affecting my own system. I play a game called Second Life (If any of you are fammiliar with it) and eve online which are pretty graphics intensive so the better the graphics card that happier I will become.

I also need it to be compatable with Windows XP. Later on I would like to upgrad to Windows 7 after a stable release comes out, or learn how to use Linux more effectivly so the computer should be able to support those.

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Hi Oreo,

I think it is hard to say what the cost will be because a year in computer technology is a long long time. But at least you can get a general idea. I have put together a few different builds on Newegg that are somewhat of a base I use when others ask and want opinions on building a computer or upgrading.

Here they are...

I call this one Cheap Quad Core GTX 260 $1000
This one Quad Core GTX 285 $1500
This one $1500 w/monitor
This one My Computer $800-$1000 Core 2 Duo Designed not for Extreme Gaming and also designed to look good with a windowed case
Parents Computer Concentrated on low cost, but still offers a Dual Core processor, looks don't matter, and cheapest name brand parts.

Hope some of that helps and gives you good ideas. Here is a list of what I consider good name brands, but there are more than just this.

Names that are reliable and that you can trust are...

CPU: Wolfdale, Yorkfield
PSU: Corsair, SeaSonic, Antec, CoolerMaster
RAM: Patriot, G. Skill, Kingston, OCZ
Cases: Antec, Lian Li, Thermaltake, CoolerMaster
Graphics Cards: EVGA, Gigabyte, HIS, Saphire
Motherboards: Gigabyte, ASUS, EVGA
Hard Drive: Western Digital, Seagate
Optical Drives: LG, Samsung, Sony
Heatsinks: Thermaltake, Zalman

The place I look first is Newegg.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Here is a link to someone thinking about building an i7 computer that Kamille and I helped with. This is the fastest processor technology available from intel.

$1500 i7 Build Topic starts off a bit slow but it gets better :)

Oreo Collas

Oreo Collas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
I already read it. That's why I posted this link. :)

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
I totally understand, want to take more of a personal approach?

Please let me know your needs for this computer.

What is your budget?

Use it for Gaming, light Gaming, or Non Gaming? You already answered this I think, expand if you could.

Case: Do you like it fancy looking, professional, gamer like, or looks don't matter? Windowed Case?

Cpu: In order from slowest to fastest- Dual Core, Core 2 Duo, Quad Core, i7?

Hard Drive Size? How many hard drives?

Any extras? Fan Controllers, Media Centers, Card Readers, lights to add in the future or now?

Games you play? Please list:

Anything else you feel you need to let me know? The more details the better my help can be.

Oreo Collas

Oreo Collas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
My budget will depend on my over time I get and the bills I have to pay. I'm dedicating at least $1000 to it though. If things go well, I'll splurge and may be willing to go up to $3000. Going to try to stick between $1000 and $1500 though since I'm sure that will get me what I want.

The only gaming I'm going to be doing is Second Life and Eve Online. That's it, but they're kinda intensive as I mentioned before.

Case does not matter, but I would prefer a windowed case to add lights later on if I felt the urge. For now. I don't care about appearance. I'd be fine with screwing everything to sheet metal. (I have a friend who installed his computer on the underside of a stair case. It was cool.)

I want at least a core 2 duo (I think) or faster. From what I hear I don't want an i7 if it's going to create issues.

I don't care if it's 32 bit or 64 bit, but I'll most likely have a 32 bit OS.

Hard drive I'm not picky about, but I'd say 500. I could go with less if need be for the primary, and alother one to install operating systems on for the virtual machine. 160 should be good for that one.

Obviously a 1/100/1000 network, I will be running video editing on the computer which ain't hard. I don't do anything fancy. At most I might be running 3DSM.

I love fans. The more fans the better as long as they're quiet. I think air flow is a main component to having a long life for your computer.

As I mentioned earlier I want it compatable with XP Pro, Windows 7 and Linux so I have my options open. I don't need to worry about buying an operating system cause I have a hook up at the college that will get me anything I want for $10 a pop.

I have not looked into what system requirements are for a virtual machine to play around with operating systems yet, but I will soon, and the computer has to run the virtual machine at least relitivly smooth.

[EDIT] Also, don't be surprised if I play around with the OS some such as changing out the core, but I don't supose that would affect what hard ware I need.

Edited by Oreo Collas, 03 April 2009 - 10:36 PM.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Second Life Minimum and Recommended Requirements
Eve Online Minimum and Recommened Requirements
Article for basic minimum requirements of video editing

What I have to offer here goes far beyond those requirements. I based everything on meeting your needs and then trying to go a bit above them. I did not look at price since your budget has some room in it, and the prices of these items will probably go down in a years time.

Case: This has 4 120mm fans(2 on top), top usb, firewire, audio ports, and a side window.
NZXT Tempest

CPU: This is a 3.0ghz Quad Core. It will perform well for basic usage and gives 4 cores for your video editing and gaming.
Quad Core FSB 1333

Motherboard: Take a look at the specs on here, lots of usb's. P45 Northbridge, and ICH10R Southbridge, FSB of 1333/1600
GIGABYTE GA-EP45T-UD3P LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard

Memory: Lowest cas latency, High Performance and Gaming Memory
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)

Graphics: Will play your games with ease, and be great for your video editing.
EVGA 01G-P3-1285-AR GeForce GTX 285 SC Edition 1GB 512-bit

PSU: it's Corsair, what else is there to say :)
Corsair
HDD: 32mb cache, 3.0gb/s SATA (both are the same) Leaves room on your second drive for 2 OS's and just about anything you want.
Western Digital Caviar Black WD7501AALS 750GB MAIN
Western Digital Caviar Black WD7501AALS 750GB Second

Optical: Here is a LG DVD/CD Combo or optional Blu-Ray DVD/CD Burner
LG Black 22X
LG Black 6X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 40X CD-ROM SATA

Monitor: ??? Wasn't sure what you wanted, so I went big and small/basic
LG W2453V-PF Black 24" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Full HD 1080P BIG 50000:1 Contrast Ratio Widescreen all sorts of nice qualities.
LG 19" Widescreen BASIC, Still has 10000:1 Contrast Ratio for your video editing and Gaming, 2ms too!

Optional:
Fan Controllers: Take your pick
Performance-PCs
Cathode Light Kits:
12" Kits
4"
Fans:
120mm LED Fans

Hope that helps. Let me know what you think. The case is something that you could pick out yourself, any of THESE should work, just depends on if they leave room for the long Graphics Card. All of them have a window, front usb, 1394, and audio ports. Some may not have the fans you want.

Edited by Ferrari, 04 April 2009 - 02:54 PM.

Oreo Collas

Oreo Collas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
Wow. These all look great. I love the ideas. This looks like it should do everything I want and more. I may resurect this thread again when I'm ready to buy to make any modifications before buying. Is that alright?

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

I may resurect this thread again when I'm ready to buy to make any modifications before buying. Is that alright?

Yeah that will be just fine. It may be a year from now, so send me a reminder PM when you are ready. Make sure you include a link to this post in the PM. If for some reason I don't answer or am not around anymore(hopefully I'm Malware Staff by then), you can always PM a member or a Staff Member that you have found trustworthy in the forums and politely ask them if they would take a look at the topic and would appreciate some help now that you are ready to buy.

If all else fails, just start a new topic.

Also, I made a mistake on the Blu-Ray Player. It does not burn Blu-Ray, it just reads them(ROM). It burns DVD/CD's only. The cost of those should be a lot different in a year anyways.

Good Luck Oreo, see ya around the forums and hopefully in Geek U! :)

Edited by Ferrari, 05 April 2009 - 09:08 AM.