Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win Vista 64bit Ultimate Startup error

• Please log in to reply

Cyphus

Cyphus

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
Hi! I know I should probably get more information from my boyfriend, before posting on these forums for him...... lol.

A couple days ago, his OS wouldn't boot up properly. He tells me that it gets to the black screen where you can choose what setting you want to load your system in: i.e. Normal mode, Safe mode, etc etc

He got an error message about a recent hardware change and that windows failed to load because of a corrupt system registry file...... he told me that the last thing he did on his computer was update his anti-virus software.

I don't have the exact name for the registry file that's corrupted, but I know it begins something like this:

"C:\\system32config.........00xt00014c.................................."

(sorry..... was trying to copy it down over the phone)

My question is: He doesn't have his OS CDs will him. Is there any way for him to repair this?? I told him it wasn't a wise idea to install a diff version of Vista, because it will wipe/unpartition all HDs on his computer. I know he has a lot of valuable work on that computer, and he can't afford to lose it! I advised him to buy a portable external hard drive, pull out his HD, and use another puter to transfer all the files off of it, before reinstalling the OS on his computer. However, I would love to get your opinion on this! Is there an easier way to fix his computer?

Advertisements

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
If he can get to the Startup Repair window, he can run Startup Repair and can even try System Restore to see if that will fix the issues. To run Startup Repair, try this link: http://www.bleepingc...utorial148.html

On quite a few systems you can access Startup Repair by rapidly tapping the F8 key just before the Windows Splash Screen shows up. That will get you to the Safe Mode menu, and a lot of major manufacturers will add a "Repair this computer" link at the top of the screen.

Cyphus

Cyphus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Yes, he can get to that 'repair' window. Unfortunately, he doesn't have this version of Vista. (he had asked his brothers to send the original one he'd borrowed, but the brother sent a different one)

hehe, guess there's no way around it, unless he does get the original OS cds!

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
1. Create Vista Recovery Disc.

Option 1:
http://www.c4consult...0SOLUCTIONS.htm

Option 2:
Download Vista Recovery Disc iso image: http://neosmart.net/...-disc-download/
Burn it to CD, or DVD: http://neosmart.net/... to a CD or DVD

2. Boot from created disk.
At first screen click on Repair your computer:
Posted Image
This will bring you to a new screen where the repair process will look for all Windows Vista installations on your computer. When done you will be presented with the System Recovery Options dialog box:
Posted Image
After this, it will present you with a list of options including startup repair, system restore and command prompt:
Posted Image
Try System Restore, first.
If that doesn't work, try Startup Repair.

Cyphus

Cyphus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
TYVM! :) :)

He'll try these options this afternoon! I hope it works!!!!!!!! :]

Cyphus

Cyphus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
THANK YOU SO MUCH, Broni!!!!!!!!!!!! :) It worked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) He's pretty relieved :) :) :no:

One question though: is it normal for his computer to be really slow now? 0.0

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
You're very welcome :)
What do you mean by slow?

Please, post some computer info:
- processor type, amount of RAM (hold Windows logo key, hit Pause/Break key)
- hard drive size/free space (open "My Computer", right click on hard drive letter, click "Properties")
- security programs in use (antivirus, firewall)

Cyphus

Cyphus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4600+ 2.40 GHz
he has 53gb free out of 250gb
windows Defender and windows firewall

He tells me that his computer is very laggy, that it takes a couple minutes to open up Skype etc (whereas before this registry error occured, it was a lot faster)

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

windows Defender and windows firewall

What AV program?

Skype only, or....?

Cyphus

Cyphus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
It was lagging before, when opening Skype, MSN, IE etc etc. He says his puter's faster now-----

I guess it was just warming up!

hehe, its about time I defragmented my HDs, and I gave him that advice too!

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Well, we have no idea what's running on your friend computer, so it's hard to advice, but some cleaning steps, plus defrag may help.
You never said, how much RAM is there.

Cyphus

Cyphus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
I remember him saying before that he's got 2gb of ram. >_< Well, he says that his puter's running faster now, and that I shouldn't worry about it. T_T

I guess we got all the help we needed! Thx so much :) :) :)

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Alrighty then :)