Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installed new hard drive

• Please log in to reply

Mechhead

Mechhead

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have a Dell Inspiron 1300 laptop 1.6 Ghz processor, 2.00Gb memory and had a 40Gb hard drive. My system showed 34.2Gb total size with 20.3Gb free space. I bought a 160Gb hard drive to upgrade my drive. I cloned my disk installed my new drive and booted my system up and everything works great. But even though I replace a 40Gb drive with a 160Gb drive it still shows only 34.2Gb total space. Where is the rest of my new hard drive. If I did something wrong I sure whould appreciate some help finding the rest of my free space. Thanks Mechhead.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
It most likely does not recognise it because it is not formatted and has no drive letter.
Go to start......control panel......administrative tools......Click on computer management
Go to storage on left side and click on disk management. What for it to populate.
You should see the drive and see an unallocated space. At this point you should be able to right click and choose what you want to do (format and assign drive letter).

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
How did you clone it over?
If your cloning software does not expand partition to full size then you will need a 3rd party software like partition magic to stretch the partition completely out

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
rshaffer61, good to see you on. Glad you caught that.

The valid question I should have also asked is if the poster wants the entire drive as 1 partition or 2 or more on the same physical drive.
We will have to wait on his response.
His response will determine the course of action.

123runner

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thank you 123Runner and you are corrct about that. However judging from their initial post

"But even though I replace a 40Gb drive with a 160Gb drive it still shows only 34.2Gb total space. Where is the rest of my new hard drive"

it looks like they want the whole drive as one. Cloning software is notorious for doing as I stated and in a XP enviroment there is no way possible to resize a partition without using Partition Magic * or later or another 3 rd party Patition software.
It is always great to work with you 123Runner as always.

Edited by rshaffer61, 04 April 2009 - 07:50 AM.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
BTW, there are also free versions of programs to modify the size of current partitions, such as qtparted (which can be run from a Linux LiveCD). In any case, the machine should be backed up (although the original disk can serve as the backup copy).