Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Odd Wireless Connection problem

• Please log in to reply

mrblue

mrblue

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Hi there

I have a Sony laptop running Win XP Pro SP3. Now on IE8. 1MB Ram.

I subscribe to Virgin Media for my Broadband. It's absolutely fine.

Yesterday I got a Vodafone mobile broadband USB stick, as I want to use it when I'm out and about.

Firstly, I'm getting 3 Mbps speed from Virgin, and only 1 Mbps on Vodafone Mobile. Now I live in London, and Vodafone say I should be getting 3 Mbps in my area.

Secondly, if I disconnect my Virgin connection, and use only my new Vodafone Mobile connection, when I get a list of search results from my search engine, I get an error when I click on one of the results, a yahoo http. 404 error. You don't have permission to access this web page. It happened when I searched for "geeks to go" for example. However, if I type in the whole url in the bar there is no problem!!! I can access the site fine. Why can I not access the site from within a search list?

When I go back to Virgin media, I can of course access the site from a search list as normal.

I have already removed the Parental Control restriction on the Vodafone Mobile Broadband, so it's not that.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts

Secondly, if I disconnect my Virgin connection, and use only my new Vodafone Mobile connection, when I get a list of search results from my search engine, I get an error when I click on one of the results, a yahoo http. 404 error. You don't have permission to access this web page. It happened when I searched for "geeks to go" for example. However, if I type in the whole url in the bar there is no problem!!! I can access the site fine. Why can I not access the site from within a search list?

It sounds like some settings haven't properly changed yet after you switched from Virgin to Vodaphone. So my best bet would be on DNS for now.

You say you're only getting 1Mbps (Mega bit per second), where are you getting this information? :)

I haven't worked with Internet through phones yet, so bear with me :)

Regards,
Olrik

mrblue

mrblue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Hi there

I haven't switched as such, I still have access to both services. It's simply that I'm getting a sub-standard service from the Mobile Broadband.

The Mobile Broadband is just a SIM card that is placed in a dongle, which is in turn placed into a USB port on my laptop.

I did a speed test from http://www.broadband...-speed-test.jsp when connected via the Mobile Broadband and I'm now getting 1.4 Mbps this morning, about half what it should be. I'm also still not able to go directly from search results to the selected page, I have to specifically type in the URL.

Thanks in advance...

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Hello mrblue,

Try fushing the DNS.
  • Go to Start and open Run.
  • In the Box, type in cmd
  • A black box will appear. Type in: ipconfig /flushdns
  • This should clean your DNS cache.

Regards,
Olrik

mrblue

mrblue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Hi Olrik

Just tried that and the problem is still there.

Incidentally, after being on hold for 50 mins to Vodafone Technical Support, apparently its a KNOWN ISSUE that some of their customers have experienced, in that they cannot access web pages from within search results from search engines. They then needed to transfer me to another department to log the call, but I decided to call back later as its taken me so long to get this far!!!

Thanks for your help.....

It's not a major issue anyway, just a little inconvenient....

But you must admit it is a weird problem!

Cheers

MrBlue

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Hey MrBlue,

Certainly is a weird problem! ;-)
I am guessing it has to do with their DNS servers.

The speed issue is nothing we can help with I am afraid.
If they 'promise' you 3 Megabyte it usually means:
"In the best possible circumstance you will get 3 Megabit"
Instead of
"Wherever you are you will get 3 Megabit"

Regards,
Olrik