Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Repair and Service Pack 2

• Please log in to reply

EmComm

EmComm

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My Dell 6000 Inspiron (circa 2005) kept freezing up when I tried to open any program. Did complete hardware check. Everything passed. Did the XP repair and it asks fo insert the "Windows XP Pro Service Pack 2 CD". I downloaded Service Pack 2 to a CD and inserted it but I get the messge "The file 'asms' on Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 is needed. Type the path where the file is located, and then click OK. Copy files files from: D:\1386

What am I supposed to do now?

Advertisements

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
Does your original Windows installation disk have SP2 on it? If not, you'll have to slipstream SP2 onto a copy of the disk in order to use it.

In this case it's likely that the SP2 CD doesn't have the i386 directory - so Windows isn't able to locate it.

Here's a guide to slipstreaming: http://www.winsupers..._slipstream.asp