Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

setup was unable to format drive c

• Please log in to reply

geeordie76

geeordie76

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi there, in desperate need of help!! want to format a hard drive and reinstall windows, but when i try the message:

"setup was unable to format drive c. The hard disk may be damaged. make sure the disk is on and properly connected. If the disk is a SCSI disk, make sure your SCSI devices are properly terminated"

Any idea how i go about it? I have even tried doing it in the recovery console by typing:
"format c: /fs:ntfs" which seemed to have worked, till i go reboot & reintall windows, then the same happens all over again!!

The computer is about 2 & a half yrs old, its a packard bell, & the hard drive is a maxtor 80g. :tazz:

Advertisements

hudihoo

hudihoo

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
windows can't recognize it. I had the same problem. Once this happens you are screwed in my opinion if someone else has a suggestion then i also need to hear it i have a western digital 40gb drive.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
What drive are you booting from & are you running the format command from the boot device? (ie XP CD or win98 floppy etc?)

geeordie76

geeordie76

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
booting from cd drive, win xp cd

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
did you check the bios and doe it see the hd? When you boot to the windows cd, you tried to format and got the error? Do you have a Win98 boot cd you can try? You can get one at http://www.bootdisk.com/

If that works, then repeat the process booting from the windows install cd. If not, I suspect your hd is dead.

geeordie76

geeordie76

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Yeah checked bios, seems to be ok. tried win98 too, no good.
Think hd is goosed, has to be!?
Thank for your help guys!

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Check in the bios for any sort of boot sector / virus protection & disable it. I'm not very familiar with Packard Bells, but it's possible theres about them thats preventing you from formatting & only allows the Packard Bell restore CD to used for this purpose - but I am guessing completely.

Another possible cause, is a damaged MBR or track 0. You may be able to fix the drive if you slaved it from another computer & access it that way. Alternatively, if you do buy another drive, remove the current one but add it back in as a slave after Windows is installed, unless the drive is completely dead or making funny noises, the chances are it will be recoverable.

boofman

boofman

• Pip
  • 1 posts
so what was the outcome? I am having the same problem with ST200GB ATA 100 drive. Seagate tech support told me it is a bad drive, so I returned it for a new one and the SAME THING!

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
boofman
The problem were are getting is probably due to the fact that XP won't recognise anything over 137GB. There are ways round this course but I suggest you start a new thread for your particular problem & then we can take it from there.

hudihoo

hudihoo

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
well as i said i had the same problem with xp and a 40 gig. I used a 10 gig for a while but today i got it to work when installing windows ME. It takes a while to format in ME, install ME and then reformat with the XP disc and then installing XP. just got done now and i started at noon.