Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Registry Issue

• Please log in to reply

adamvelvetu

adamvelvetu

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi-

I had my computer set-up to run scan disk after the next reboot. As it was scanning following the reboot, we lost power and the computer shut off (it had made it to stage 4 of 5). Now, the computer is stuck in a constant little loop. I am running XP, with service pack 2. I have tried to run in safe mode, but the computer restarts after going through its rundown of files (stop at mps.sys). The only F8 option I could get to work was to prevent the computer from auto-restarting when it hit a snag starting Windows. This helped me narrow down the options and assume its a registry issue.

I received this error: ***stop 0x00000024 (0x00190203, 0x8A5378B0, 0xC0000102, 0x000000000

The same screen also suggested running the following command: chkdsk /f

I cannot do safe mode with command prompt, so I inserted my Windows CD and tried to run the repair option. The program opened up with c:\

I tried chkdsk /f, which did nothing. Chkdsk checked the disk but reported no issues (so I'm assuming at least the hard drive might be safe...phew if it is).

I feel like my last option is to re-install Windows but I definitely don't want to lose all the stuff on my hard drive. Any other recommendations of what I might try? Is there a registry fixing program that will start like a start-up disk or that I could run from the command prompt? Thanks for any help :)

-adamvelvetu

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts

so I inserted my Windows CD and tried to run the repair option. The program opened up with c:\

Unclear.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Instaed of chkdsk / f run chkdsk /r.

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
A STOP 0x24 error is related to the NTFS file system on your hard drive (more info here: http://aumha.org/a/stop.php#0x24 )
chkdsk /r is the first response for those errors (it's a bit more detailed than /f). Depending on your other symptoms a hard drive diagnostic or a rebuilding of the Master Boot Record and/or Boot Sector (in the Recovery Console) may be called for.

Let chkdsk /r run until it completes. It may take a long time, but if it saves your system it's worth the wait!