Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"eRAgent" dwRet = 5

• Please log in to reply

phatjo911

phatjo911

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
I just bought a new netbook, the Aspire One from Acer, and when I turn the computer on, I get a message with the heading "eRAgent" and in the message box, it says "dwRet = 5"

Even after I click O.K., it comes back after ~ 4 seconds.

I have a feeling this program is connected to the Acer factory program, but why is it doing this? And could this be a virus? Anyone had this before?

Thanks all!

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Since the computer must be under guarantee your best option would be to call the technical support of ACER.

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
Here's a link to information about the eRAgent program: http://www.bleepingc....exe-17135.html
If you've already made the backup/recovery disks for the computer, you can turn this off and not experience any ill effects.

To turn it off, you can either enter the program and locate the setting that stops it from starting with Windows - or you can use this free program to disable (don't delete it) it from starting: http://www.microsoft...s/Autoruns.mspx
Then just scroll down the Image Name column and disable the Acer eRecovery stuff by removing the checkmark next to it. Reboot to check and see if you've fixed it.

Edited by usasma, 04 April 2009 - 03:13 PM.

phatjo911

phatjo911

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
O.K. Thanks!