Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MS Word 2000: Killing the Spell Checker

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

njay

njay

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
Hey

I often switch between languages and keyboard layouts when I type in MS Word. The spelling checker, however, only recognised my native language (because that's the only one installed). Whenever I switch to a different keyboard layout to be able to conveniently write a language with a different writing system, Word auto-detects what language I must be writing in right now, and so it switches to the spelling checker for that language, which does not exist. So, it keeps bugging me, after about every four words, if I want to install the language support.

NO, I do not. I do not like spelling checkers. I think they are aesthetically displeasing and I want to be able to write whatever I wish. If I want to know the spelling I'll consult a dictionary. It teaches me a lot more.

So, you may ask, why haven't you gone to options > spelling and grammar, and turned everything off?

Well, see, I did. Have, a looooong time ago.

And I can fool 'the system' by telling it that I'm writing in my native language, even if I use a foreign keyboard layout. BUT, every time I switch between keyboard layouts in one Word document (which, in my case, happens a lot, because I also use the International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA) a lot, which requires me to switch back and forth all the time.

And each time I do, it auto-changes to a language for which I don't have the support installed-- And it's annoying me to no end.

I've got a solution: Install the support, and then it'll shut up in every language I use. But I don't own MS Office. I borrowed it once just to install it.

If you can't help me, I'll either go insane (though I'm still all right after 5 years of abuse), or I'll really threaten to switch to Open Office or something...

Please help!

Cheers,
njay

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hello njay,

But I don't own MS Office. I borrowed it once just to install it.

Unfortunately, any assistance we provide you would be in violation with GeeksToGo!'s Terms of Use. You will need to either purchase your own copy of MS Office, or acquire the appropriate license from Microsoft. If you do not wish to do this, then you should remove MS Office from your machine, and simply use Open Office, as you have suggested.

If you have any questions or concerns in regards to GeeksToGo!'s policies, please feel free to contact a Moderator/Administrator.

Thanks,
- Dan

njay

njay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Ahh, I can understand that.

But see, I used to own it (or, it was owned by the household), but due to a divorce, it's no longer with me. So I do have an official version of MS Office installed, I just no longer have access to the CD. (And I know that doesn't line up exactly with the info I provided in my first post, but I prefer to leave out personal info if I don't need to put it in).

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts

but I prefer to leave out personal info if I don't need to put it in)

We can definitely understand, however when this sort of information isn't provided, it does make it difficult for us to distinguish between genuine cases, and the not-so-honest people.

I'm going to need a mod/admin's approval before we proceed -- I'll put in a request and we'll hopefully hear from some one shortly.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Hello njay,

Was MS Office installed with YOUR key? Or was it installed with the key you borrowed?

Regards,
Olrik

njay

njay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Well as I said, all the computers used to be part of one household, so MS Office was installed with that one key. But then the household fell apart and the MS Office CD didn't end up with me. So I don't have access to the key right now, but it's a legitimate installation and at the time of the installation, you could say that I too owned the key.

I said 'borrowing' in my initial post because I didn't want to include (what I thought to be) irrelevant personal info.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello njay...

Unfortunately, in order to install legally you'll have to purchase your own copy of Microsoft Office or purchase a new license from Microsoft.

Under the EULA for new Office products, the application can only be installed on one device (computer/server) using the license provided with the disk. In some of the older versions, Office 2000 included, one was allowed to install the application to one computer and one mobile device (notebook computer) per license. However, without being in possession of the installation disk and not having the license key available to you, you're probably going to have to purchase a new license to install legally.

One option you have is to call Microsoft and explain your situation to them. They may provide you with a new license at a reduced price...it's been known to happen. They may even provide a license at no cost, but this is unlikely.

Office 2000 is getting pretty old and some of the newer versions have a lot of features not available in the older versions. You might be better off just purchasing a newer Office application...or giving Open Office a try.

Other than the information we've already offered, I'm afraid we can't really help you with this. Sorry.

wannabe1