Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer wont boot up

• Please log in to reply

crgibby

crgibby

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Recently my computer decided that it doesn't want to boot up anymore. Well technically it wont turn on at all. When I push the power button the fans make about 1 rotation and turn off, then if i push the button again nothing happens. The leds on the mobo stay on but the fans wont even spin, unless i flip the power switch on the psu and wait for the mobo leds to go off then turn the psu back on, then it'll spin the fans like earlier. I hadn't done anything to the computer since I put it altogether, but i went ahead and opened the case and went thru all the components making sure the ram/heatsink/gpu/sata/ide/fans and power connectors were seated properly.

The computer is:
evga 680i sli mobo
intel quad core 2.66ghz
2 evga 8800 GT
750watt psu
6gigs ocz pc2 6400 ram 2x2gig sticks and 2x1gig sticks

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sounds like a bad Power supply
You can buy a power supply tester at most computer stores.
Is it connected to a surge protector?
Have you had any storms lately?
Any power surges or brown outs?

crgibby

crgibby

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
yeah it's plugged into a surge protector, and we haven't had any power outages since this has happened. I was think it was the psu, or maybe the cpu, but b4 i go spending $200 on a shot in the dark I wanted a 2nd opinion

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
can you find a power supply first?
even borrow one from someone just to see if it is the power supply first

crgibby

crgibby

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I will check around to see if I can find someone with a big enough psu. The computer I'm on now only has like a 300watt psu, i dont think that'll do the trick ???

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
anymore the lowest you would waant is a 500 at the least. Most system builds I do have a 650 in them.
Good for everything I put in now and for later upgrades

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
future use must be taken into consideration these days :)