Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSoD Vista PROBLEM

• Please log in to reply

bugs

bugs

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
Hey. I have not been able to access my computer fully since last night. Most every time I boot up, as I type in my password, or right after, the Blue Screen of Death appears. Sometimes i am lucky enough to get to my desktop (usually works when i switch off my WiFi switch), but right when i switch it on, about 5 seconds later, the BSoD appears and restarts the comp. (no message before!). I know this is a very vague situation but any suggestion would help. I am able to start the computer up in SafeMode and Safe Mode with networking.

I was just browsing using Firefox when this happened, not downloading anything. Right now I'm on a different computer with which i have limited access. I really need to fix this. Any help? Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
While in Safe Mode...

1. Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
2. Click the Advanced tab (Vista: click Advanced system settings).
3. Under Startup and Recovery, click Settings to open the Startup and Recovery dialog box.
4. Clear the Automatically restart check box, and click OK the necessary number of times.
5. Restart your computer for the settings to take effect.

You may be able to read what the BSOD says.

Also...

Navigate to: C:\Windows\Minidump folder.
If you see any .dmp files, zip all of them, and attach zipped file to your next reply.

bugs

bugs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Hey thanks for the reply.
Here you go.
Hope this works.

Attached Files

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
All errors except for one come from Mpfp.sys, which is part of McAfee firewall.
In Safe Mode, uninstall McAfee, using this tool: http://majorgeeks.co...Tool_d5420.html
See, if you're gonna be able to restart in Normal Mode.

bugs

bugs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Lookin' good so far; two minutes without the dreaded BSoD.
The irony of it all is pretty frustrating though lol.
Thank you!
May I ask what the other error returned was pertaining to?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
The other one was fileinfo.sys, which is Windows system file, but it shouldn't matter here.
What matters, you need some protection right away, so I suggest, you go with one of these:

- Avast! free antivirus: http://www.avast.com...avast-home.html
- Avira free antivirus: http://www.free-av.c...load/index.html

- free PC Tools Firewall Plus: http://www.pctools.com/firewall/

- free Comodo Internet Security (firewall + AV): http://www.personalf...all.comodo.com/

If you decide to install Avast, or Avira, make sure, Windows firewall is turned on, or use PC Tools Firewall Plus.
If you decide to install Comodo, make sure, Windows firewall is turned off.

IMPORTANT! Make sure, you use only ONE antivirus, and ONE firewall.

bugs

bugs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Got it. Thanks again for your help.
I think I'm going with Avira.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
You're very welcome :)

bugs

bugs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
One thing though. I've noticed that ever since this incident, about half the times I click on links, it brings me to a random page that isn't relevant and then I go back and have to click it again to go the page I want. Have any idea what this is about?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I suggest that you start a new topic in the Malware Removal - HiJackThis™ Logs Go Here area.

Before you post a log click on this link --> You Must Read This Before Posting A Hijackthis Log
this will give you a few preparations to make, as well as instruction for posting your Hijackthis log.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).