Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Processor Upgrade advise on a Gigabyte K8NS Ultra....

• Please log in to reply

RussWoofWoof

RussWoofWoof

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hi guys,

Im looking to upgrade my processor on a K8NS Ultra motherboard.
It currently has a AMD Athlon 64 3000+ processor on it, im wondering what size can I go up too, will something about a 5000+ fit ok??? Will a Athlon 64 X2 fit as well, or doesnt the X2 fit my motherboard. If not, what model etc should I be looking at to use.

It only has 1 gig of ram at the moment as well, so I was going to fit another couple of ram.
Mainly needed it photo/video editing, and a bit of online gaming, BF2 etc.

Currently has a 128mg 9800 pro video card, which I want to update as well for something a bit quicker.

Thanks for any advise! :)

Cheers,
Phil

Advertisements

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Welcome to GeeksToGo,
My name is Cbarnard I hope I maybe of some assistance to you.

Im looking to upgrade my processor on a K8NS Ultra motherboard.
It currently has a AMD Athlon 64 3000+ processor on it, im wondering what size can I go up too, will something about a 5000+ fit ok??? Will a Athlon 64 X2 fit as well, or doesnt the X2 fit my motherboard. If not, what model etc should I be looking at to use.

It only has 1 gig of ram at the moment as well, so I was going to fit another couple of ram.
Mainly needed it photo/video editing, and a bit of online gaming, BF2 etc.

Currently has a 128mg 9800 pro video card, which I want to update as well for something a bit quicker.

Thanks for any advise! thumbsup.gif

Cheers,
Phil

Have you considered upgrading your Mobo, Ram, and Cpu. You have an older setup. For the people I personally build computers for. I always recommend if the money is there to upgrade those 3 items. You can purchase a new reasonable setup for a little more than you would spend on a new CPU alone. This would help you keep up with the times. With the phasing out of current operating systems you system will not be able to handle what is coming. I know it is difficult to stay ahead of the curve. I don't have a lot of money, and I stay with behind the curve (for about a second or so) but definatly not ahead of it.

Here is a link to a Asrock Mobo
this one costs $100

Here is a link to an AM2 cpu This cpu limits the speed of the ram to 800 mhz. $72

here is a link to an AM2+ cpu This will support the faster ram. $70

These aren't the only cpu's you can you can use there is a much larger selection, I was just trying to keep the replacement about the same cost as upgrading your current mobo.

Here is a link for Ram This ram can only be used if you purchase an AM2+ cpu cost $40 after rebate (higher performance)

Here i a link for ram for use with AM2 or AM2+ This rams speed is slower than the above ram (less performance) $25 after rebate

Here is a link to a reasonable video card it costs about $70 after rebate.

So as you see for about $310 you can replace the main hardware, and have a much better computer and recieve 40$ in rebates.So for less than it would be to upgrade the peripherals on your old MOBo, and keep the same old performance. You can Really upgrade!!!

But for the information you requested. Your motherboard will support at the most and AMD64 X2 4800 only problem I was unable to locate it at the sites I frequent. If you find it it will cost in the area of $60

If you purchase this CPU please make sure it is a retail version with heatsink and fan, or purchase an aftermarket cooler. The one you currently have is not sufficient to swap to a 4800.

For your ram if you want to upgrade you will have to purchase ddr 400 1gb 184pin modules Click here for kingston memory If you want to upgrade to 4 gigs of ram, (which your mobo supports) you should purchase 2 matched pairs. If you just want to upgrade to 2 or three gigs than you can purchase one module or a matched pair like in the link, because you will not utilize the Dual channel capability matched pairs don't matter.

If you plan on using your current ram it needs to be the same speed and size of the ram you purchase.

As you see if you want to upgrade to 4 gb you will spend $130 plus shipping

Here is a link to a video card that is compatible with your current setup Newegg This card will run you $100

So to upgrade your computer to 4 gb ram, 512mbvideo and 4800 cpu you will spend almost $300

If you would like to continue upgrading your current motherboard:

I will need to know what other items you have installed in the computer

Power supply wattage and the brand?
Cd\dvd roms and how many
Hard drives how many
This all has a bearing on how much power your system needs to operate effectively

Get back to me about your decision and what your current system specs I requested are, and I will assist you further

RussWoofWoof

RussWoofWoof

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hi Cbarnard,

Thanks for your time.

Looking at it that way, it might be better to upgrade the motherboard too.
At least that way, like you said, it would be a newer system then without as many drawbacks.
Those upgrade options look great too! And are a bit cheaper than I thought it would be.

Im in Australia too, so pricing would be slightly higher for shipping and currency, but still less than if I tried purchasing the items off the shelf here.

Might have to put a couple of extra bucks aside in the coming weeks and do the upgrade as you suggested I think.
At least I have something to aim for and a bit more of an understand on what to get now.

Thanks for your advice!

Cheers,
Phil

Edited by RussWoofWoof, 05 April 2009 - 11:29 PM.

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Well I'm happy I was able to assist you.
I build computers for people, when I explain it that way I always sell it. It doesn't make sense to keep the old stuff with current prices like they are. I just remembered you didn't post what size powersupply you have, It may also need to be replaced but that would be about 30-40 bucks. I was helping someone else they had $2200 AUD I was able to build a nice core I7 for them for that price. That build translated into about $1530 USD

If you need anything just post back here and I will try to assist you.

Good Luck

Cbarnard

RussWoofWoof

RussWoofWoof

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Sorry! I forgot to mention I have a 600w power supply.
Not sure of the brand unless I take the cover off to check it, which I can do if you want.
It was purchased from a good computer store which I have dealt with a few items before, hopefully it will run the new bits ok.

Thanks again! :)

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Sorry! I forgot to mention I have a 600w power supply.
Not sure of the brand unless I take the cover off to check it, which I can do if you want.
It was purchased from a good computer store which I have dealt with a few items before, hopefully it will run the new bits ok.

WOW :) Talk about over kill on an AMD 3000!!! (your supplier was definitely looking into the future.)

You will be fine for wattage , that will be able to handle this setup just fine...

I just have to make sure of the make and model, To make sure it has all the necessary connections.
Also some of the cheaper brands create instability in the computer, and I can't stand instability.

Get back to me and we'll get this taken care of.

Cbarnard

Edited by cbarnard, 06 April 2009 - 10:57 AM.

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Hello,

I see that you have not replied to this post. Do you still need assistance?

If the problem has been resolved please post a reply stating this is resolved. If the problem resurfaces again please reference this thread in the new thread you start.

If you continue to need assistance please reply back with requested information asked for previously in my last post.

I like to hear how things are going for the people I'm assisting, please let me know how it is going good or bad!!!

Thank you very much and good luck

Cbarnard