Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Freezing With Sound Loop

• Please log in to reply

Felade

Felade

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hey guys, I have a problem with my brand spank'in new PC - signed up here ages ago, whilst I was googling for help on my problem I came across this site, tried registering but found out I was already a member! Crazy how these things happen.

Anyway, basically my problem is this - about 2 weeks ago my computer started to freeze whilst playing games, what would happen was the image would stay static, could not ctrl alt delete, could not do anything, accompanied by a sound loop - all I could do was restart the computer or turn it off. At the time I was playing Empire: Total War, I run it at 1920x1080 or w/e it is all at ultra settings, its a very demanding game and my High-end computer can run it nicely - when its not freezing. As some of you may or may not Empire: Total War is riddled with memory leak problems, lots of CTD errors and what not, so while I was experience some of these I wasn't too alarmed about the sound loop freezes, just pissed at CA for not releasing a finished game.

But then, I started to play other less demanding games, like CoD: WaW, and even more so BF2142 - I was starting to get frequent freezes. Eventually some nights, it will just frequently freeze whilst I browse, watch movies, or perform an action whilst in a word document - although ive always noticed whilst not in a game, its related to when I open/close a window, or anything that involves moving the cursor in any case. The bios for my comuter is Phoenix - AwardBios, I settled on Award bios, and checked the beep codes from bioscentral.com. Now and then when I have to do a hard boot from a freeze loop, I get 1 long beep, 3 short beeps - according to bioscentral for awardbios, this indicates theres a graphics problem, which Im guessing it maybe it, my card is a GTX295 however brand new, just wondering how could this happen so quickly.

I have got no anti-virus, just rely on windows defender, that and Im lazy. I know, I know, I'm actually downloading AVG as I type this. Its a new computer and it aint so easy to install all the programs you had on your other computer that you have accumulated over the years :).

Anyway I've got a pretty high end computer that was built on January 27th, and I still got warranty on it so I'm not too alarmed, but am hoping I can get some insight from you humble people ;D - specszzz

CPU: Intel Q9550 2.83GHZ
Motherboard: Asus Striker II Formula - Phoenix - AwardBios
RAM: 2x 2GB Ram @ 800MHz
GPU: GTX295
PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower 850W

Cooling is not an issue, currently as I type this its about 34 degrees celcius for CPU and system, never seen it go past 43ish.

So yeah due to time constraints I won't be taking this in till about 1 and a half weeks, so your insight is greatly appreciated - just basically a summary is Freezing with Soundloop whilst Gaming/Watching Videos/Browsing even (any movement with mouse or opening/closing a window, scrolling down etc. can trigger it) and sometimes when I do a forced reboot due to freezing, I'll get One long beep, 3 short beeps.

Thanks!

Edited by Felade, 04 April 2009 - 08:39 PM.

Advertisements