Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet explore error then closes browser

• Please log in to reply

drewblueeye

drewblueeye

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
I will try to explain this the best of my ability.

If i search the web and i only use 1 wondow for IE everything works fine. BUT if i am surfing the web and i click a link and it has to open a second window then i have a major issue. The second window looks fine except the 'Minimize, Maxumize and the exit buttons' in the upper right corner are not there. its like the top title bar goes around where they are suppose to be. Now if i put my cursor over top where any of those buttons should be then they appear EXCEPT they appear but in gray boxes. Now if a second window opens and i try to close out of the 2nd or even the 1st window (webpage) i get this windows error, it asks me to either send to microsoft or don't send. also there is a button that says list details. doesnt matter which one of those three buttons i click. it doesnt go thru the send or dont send process nor does it list any details. it closes the error box and all windows (webpages) that are open, and then i have to start back over by clicking internet explorer on my desktop. this happens almost everytime i get on Internet Explorer. I cant get any error codes for you, it wont let me see them before it closes everything.
Now i have windows XP, my computer is 13 months old, a Dell desktop. I have tried running a scan disk (quick and full), disk defragment, i have ran ComboFix, and MalwareBytes, i ran my anti-virus that came with my computer (PC-cillin). I have also opened IE and clicked 'Tools", internet options, Advanced Tab, and then Reset. I have been to Mircosoft update page and looked for updates, I downloaded the most recent update for IE. I have cleaned out my cookies and my history. Nothing works....I am all out of ideas only thing i havent done is uninstalled IE and re-installed it, i have NOT done that because that is one thing i dont know how to do. I was hoping maybe there was a safe program that checks for IE errors, or something i am not thinking of. I dont have any other form on IE, dont like Mozilla foxfire, and i dont care for safari either. i would like to keep using Microsoft IE.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
What IE version?

drewblueeye

drewblueeye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
IE version 8 is what i have now

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Close IE.
Go Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools, and click on Internet Explorer (no add-ons). Same thing?

drewblueeye

drewblueeye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
just tried that, didnt help. also tried it and restarted my computer and didnt help either

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Go Tools>Internet Options>Advanced tab, and click on Reset button.
Restart computer.

drewblueeye

drewblueeye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
ok, went to tools, internet options, advanced, reset. still didnt fix it. :)

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Did you have very same problem with IE7?

drewblueeye

drewblueeye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
well see i had this computer for a while now, and i never had a problem. then all of a sudden i had this issue. not sre what started it andi dont have a "go back" program or a recovery that i know of. this has been an issue for a mont or 2 now. i origanally had IE 7 never had an issue with it, then i got this issue with IE7 so i upgraded to IE8 and still have the issue.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Basically, I don't use IE at all, but usually upgrade doesn't cure the problem.
You may have some system files issues.
Try...

Go Start>Run ("Start Search" in Vista), type in:
sfc /scannow
Click OK (hit Enter in Vista).
Have Windows CD/DVD handy.
If System File Checker (sfc) will find any errors, it may ask you for the CD/DVD.
If sfc won't find any errors in Windows XP, it'll simply quit, without any message.
In Vista you will receive the following message: "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations".

For Vista users ONLY: Navigate to C:\Windows\Logs\CBS folder. You'll see CBS.log file.
Usually, it's pretty big file, so upload it here: http://www.flyupload.com/, and post download link.

If you don't have Windows CD....
(this applies mostly to Windows XP, since Vista rarely requires use of its DVD while running "sfc")
Note This method will not necessarily work as well, as when using Windows CD, because not always ALL system files are backed up on your hard drive. Also, backed up files may be corrupted as well.

Go Start>Run, type in:
regedit
Click OK.

Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

You will see various entries (Values) on the right hand side.

The one we want is called: SourcePath

It probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive,(usually D:) and that is why it is asking for the XP CD. All we need to do is change it to: C:
Now, double click the SourcePatch setting and a new box will pop up.
Change the drive letter from your CD drive to your root drive, usually C:
Close Registry Editor.

Now restart your computer and try sfc /scannow again!

Advertisements

drewblueeye

drewblueeye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
ok, did exactly what you said, ran the sfc /scannow, came back with nothing wrong, cuz it jsut closed out when done. tried the internet again and does the same thing. works fine with one webpage open but once it has to open a second the icons in the upper right corner for minimize, maximize and exit, they are missing. but if i drag the webpage somewhere else on the screen they will come back. but if i click any links on the new or old page it will do the same thing, bring up an error screen and then close out of everything when i click anything on the error box. BUT if i move the webpage somewhere else on the screen so the uppper right icons re-appear then that page and old page works fine. i have tried to re-size the webpage, and then try it again and it still keeps it the same size when i re-open the page. it happens with any website i go to. very confused right now

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Download Autoruns for Windows: http://technet.micro...s/bb963902.aspx
No installation required.
Simply unzip Autoruns.zip file, and double click on autoruns.exe file to run the program.
Go File>Save As, and save AutoRuns.txt file to know location.
Attach the file to your next reply.

drewblueeye

drewblueeye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
ok i did exact what you requested. i savex the file as you requested and i tried to attach but it wont due to the file is 4.19mb and i can only attach up to 500k according to this website. also i opened the file that i sved and all it is is a bunch of weird letters and spaces, doesnt say anything legible... is that what it is suppose to say? here is the firt few lines of what the txt says

ÿÿÿ ÆÆÆ ÆÆÆ ÆÆÆ ÆÆÆ ÆÆÆ ÆÆÆ ÆÆÆ ÆÆÆ ÆÆÆ „„„ „„„ ÿÿÿ ÆÆÆ ÆÆÆ ÆÆÆ ÆÆÆ ÆÆÆ ÆÆÆ ÆÆÆ ÆÆÆ ÆÆÆ ÆÆÆ „„„ „„„ ÿÿÿ ÆÆÆ ÆÆÆ ÆÆÆ ÆÆÆ ÆÆÆ ÆÆÆ ÆÆÆ ÆÆÆ ÆÆÆ „„„ „„„ „„„ ÿÿÿ ÆÆÆ ÆÆÆ ÆÆÆ ÆÆÆ ÆÆÆ ÆÆÆ ÆÆÆ ÆÆÆ ÆÆÆ ÆÆÆ „„„ „„„ „„„ ÿÿÿ ÿÿÿ ÿÿÿ ÿÿÿ ÿÿÿ ÿÿÿ ÿÿÿ ÿÿÿ ÿÿÿ ÿÿÿ „„„ ÆÆÆ „„„ „„„ „„„ „„„ „„„ „„„ „„„ „„„ „„„ „„„ „„„ „„„ „„„ „„„ ÆÆÆ „„„ „„„ ÿÿÿ ÆÆÆ ÆÆÆ ÆÆÆ ÆÆÆ ÆÆÆ ÆÆÆ ÆÆÆ ÆÆÆ ÆÆÆ ÆÆÆ ÆÆÆ „„„ „„„ ÿÿÿ ÆÆÆ ÆÆÆ ÆÆÆ ÆÆÆ ÆÆÆ ÆÆÆ ÿÿÿ ÿÿÿ ÿÿÿ ÿÿÿ ÿÿÿ „„„ „„„ ÿÿÿ ÆÆÆ ÆÆÆ ÆÆÆ ÆÆÆ ÆÆÆ ÿÿÿ „„„ „„„ „„„ „„„ „„„ „„„ „„„ ÿÿÿ ÿÿÿ ÿÿÿ ÿÿÿ ÿÿÿ „„„ „„„ „„„ „„„ „„„ „„„    BM~ > (     @ ÿÿÿ ÿÿ ÿÿ BM6 6 (     ÷÷÷ ïïï ïïï ïïï ïïï ïïï ïïï ïïï ççç ççç ççç ççç ççç ççç ççç ÿÿÿ ”J) ŒB! ŒB! ŒB! ŒB! ŒB! ŒB! ŒB! ŒB! ŒB

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
You probably clicked on a wrong file.
Make sure, you doubleclick on autoruns.exe, not autorunsc.exe
Then, make sure, the Save As dialog looks like this:

Posted Image

drewblueeye

drewblueeye

• Topic Starter