Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Media Shortcut button Questions

• Please log in to reply

Ali1234

Ali1234

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hi guys,

A couple of questions about the buttons on my laptop. I will try to be as specific and detailed as possible.
After the FANTASTIC help from members of these forums on reinstalling XP on to pre-built-in Vista laptop (Dell Insprion 1545) everything appears to be working perfectly. However, the 1545 has a number of shortcut buttons running along the top of the keyboard. They are (from left to right):

Screen sync (1), Wireless (4), Battery meter (3), screen brightness down (2), screen brightness up (2), Mute volume (2), Volume down (2), volume up (2), backtrack (1), pause/play (1), forward track (1), eject optical disc (3).

1= button works fine
2= button performs function but with no display (when the laptop had Vista a small image came up to show what the button was doing)
3= button does not perform function at all
4= button performs function, but not correctly.

Erm, I'm guessing that there is a program/driver I would need to install to be able to make them work. I have hardly any tech knowledge and any ideas what program this maybe or how to fix it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much for your time,

Ali

Edit: Any by the way I have checked the Dell website for any relavant downloads concerning the buttons. So far none I think.

Edited by Ali1234, 05 April 2009 - 04:51 AM.

Advertisements

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
There's many different solutions for this on the web.
- a BIOS update
- install the QuickSet application (most likely) http://support.dell....p;fileid=285125
- press a combination of keys such as Fn and ScrollLock to activate the Functions (not likely IMO)
- check in the Device Manager to see if the Dell keyboard drivers are installed.
- check in Control Panel to make sure that the Dell keyboard is selected as the default.

Ali1234

Ali1234

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Fab, thanks. The quickset download solved everything. Thanks for the help.

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
Glad to hear it. Dell didn't label the QuickSet download page very well. It was only after messing around with the Google results for a while that I found someone who used it to restore their Fn keys