Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Are these registry values legitimate?

• Please log in to reply

Speedbump

Speedbump

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey guys. I've done a full scan with a couple of anti-virus's and my computer comes up clean. Although today I decided to run the online scan provided by a-squared malware. It picked up the following:

Trace.Registry.Ares!A2

While expanding the box it shows me the following two registry values associated with the above mentioned name.

Trace: Value: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{3E0FA044-926C-42D9-BA 12-EF 16E980913B}\InprocServer32 --> ThreadingModel
Trace: Value: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{3E0FA044-926C-42D9-BA 12-EF 16E980913B}\InprocServer32 --> ThreadingModel

Any expert advice in whether these entries are harmful would be greatly appreciated. If possible, an explanation on exactly what those values are would be very helpful. I want to make sure these are not false positives, seeing as my anti-virus (Eset NOD32) did not pick these up.

What exactly are these registry values?

Thank you in advance
~RB

Advertisements

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
These CLSID's don't exist on my Vista or on my Win7 systems.

I'd avoid deleting registry keys in anything but HKEY_CURRENT_USER as the effect could be unpredictable (and disastrous).

I'd also suggest posting over in the Malware forums for a more definitive answer (I can't locate anything on the CLSID's with a google search).

Speedbump

Speedbump

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
ty usasma. I've posted this same thing in the malware section, ty for redirecting me to the proper forum.