Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Upgrade Recommendations...

• Please log in to reply

Agentwillmore

Agentwillmore

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello people! I'm sure you must see about a hundred of these kinds of topic a day but i am in need of some professional, yet reasonable, budget-aware advise on upgrading a computer i have built in order to get the best FPS on higher then low graphics settings on games like Command & Conquer 3...

My current specs are;

ASRock K7S41 Motherboard
AMD Athlon XP 2000+ 1.8Ghz CPU
512Mb RAM (Upgrade Possible)
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 128Mb Graphics Card (Upgrade Possible)
80Gb IDE Hitachi 5200rpm HDD

I was wondering if i could get any opinions on what i should primarily look at upgrading in order to achieve anything above about 20 or 25fps on MEDIUM Graphics ideally... See i'm trying to avoid having to upgrade the CPU here...

Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Welcome to GeeksToGo,
My name is Cbarnard I hope I may be of some assistance to you.

I understand you are trying to upgrade this system with the least amount of money, But parts for older systems are more expensive to purchase. Usually, but not always you can replace your motherboard, CPU, and Ram, for the same price to upgrade. You may pay a little more for the new parts, but you won't be stuck in the 19th century. I bet for $200 I could get you set up with a new mobo, cpu, and ram. And it will blow your system away, all for $30 more than the upgrade would cost click here for a better example. Also I researched this info so its accurate within $10

I just worked up a build for you $206 up front with $30 in rebates

You will probably also need a new powersupply that will be an additional 30-40 dollars.

But if you are still set on just upgrading I will be happy to assist you, I just don't want you to make a uninformed decision. Most people don't realize its cheaper to build this way than upgrade... But I have armed you with enough for the decision you will have to make.

NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 128Mb Graphics Card (Upgrade Possible)

Click here this is the best you are going to do with your setup, $99

512Mb RAM (Upgrade Possible)

Click here that is the fastest ram and the most you can install in your mobo $70

Agentwillmore

Agentwillmore

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello Cbarnard

Your post has indeed been very informative and rest assured i have taken your recommendations into account except for the fact i live in the UK XD

Most of my computer parts i get are from eBay, and stupidly low prices (Although some would argue this is not a good idea), but so far it hasn't let me down yet ^_^

I am also on a low budget so i was looking to upgrade my existing set-up with bits here and there as and when i had the cash spare. I am due to start University on a computing course also here in the UK so i am required to purchase a top-spec Laptop regardless. I was just thinking more on the short term, as something to keep me occupied like lol.

My main concern currently is my FPS if anything, i'm aware i can't achive HD Graphics but i would like to at least come off the Lowest graphics setting for the whole Eye Candy thing with it XD. Since when i notch them up currently it falls from 30 to like 6 lol... and thats just ONE notch up... ¬_¬

Thank you all the same though. :)

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts

My main concern currently is my FPS if anything, i'm aware i can't achive HD Graphics but i would like to at least come off the Lowest graphics setting for the whole Eye Candy thing with it XD. Since when i notch them up currently it falls from 30 to like 6 lol... and thats just ONE notch up... ¬_¬

Well spend the $100 on the video card, if you want to upgrade the ram you will have to purchase ram that exactly matches your current ram. Or you can go to 2 gigs and that will be 70. When I help people with their computer, I tell them to save the money and buy it all at once.With patience they have a better computer.

Being from the USA I don't know much about products in the UK but if you have any other questions I would be willing to assist you.

Good Luck

Cbarnard

Edited by cbarnard, 06 April 2009 - 10:47 AM.

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Hello,

I see that you have not replied to this post. Do you still need assistance?

If you continue to need assistance please reply back.

I like to hear how things are going for the people I'm assisting, please let me know how it is going good or bad!!!

Thank you very much and good luck

Cbarnard