Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Converting trial version of Microsoft Office 2007 Home and Student Edi

• Please log in to reply

ReguloJ

ReguloJ

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello everyone!

I'm new seeing as I only signed up a few minutes ago. I was searching through google to find some help and I came across you all that make geekstogo.com. :) I hope to be a good part of the community and learn a few things.

So here's the question:

I converted a trial version of Microsoft Office 2007 Home and Student Edition onto my PC, about a month back. I am thinking about reformatting my HD to a fresh start. What I wanted to know is if I reformat and download a new trial version of Office 2007 (Since that's how I originally got Office). Will I be able to use the same product key I already used? What will be some difficulties I may come across? Or will it be as simple as downloading a new trial version and using the same product key as before (hopes so!).

Thanks in advance,

Regulo

Vista Home Premium SP1 32bit
Toshiba Satellite A215
Toshiba MK1637GSX HD 160GB
2.0GHz AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-60
2.0GB RAM
ATI Radeon x1200

Edited by ReguloJ, 05 April 2009 - 05:42 PM.

Advertisements

SongCloud

SongCloud

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
You should be fine. The security key that Microsoft uses is based on the hardware of the machine, so as long as it is on the same machine, it should be ok. If you have any issues, you can always call Microsoft Licensing. Thy have been helpful; to me in the past with re-authorizing my key. (What can I say, I'm a geek who likes to change his machine around a LOT!) :) LOL! Feel free to post back here if you have any questions.

ReguloJ

ReguloJ

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Oops. I still need to figure these forums out and how they work.

Edited by ReguloJ, 06 April 2009 - 04:47 PM.

ReguloJ

ReguloJ

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Ah! Thank you, SongCloud

The assurance makes it a little more easy to follow through with a fresh start on my HD. So just to double check. It definitely will be as easy as to reformat and download a new trial version and apply the same product key I've already used? If you could get back to me 1 more time, that would be great.. Once I complete the reformat, I'll post how the process with converting Office 2007 from a trial version again, goes.

Thanks again,

Regulo

You should be fine. The security key that Microsoft uses is based on the hardware of the machine, so as long as it is on the same machine, it should be ok. If you have any issues, you can always call Microsoft Licensing. Thy have been helpful; to me in the past with re-authorizing my key. (What can I say, I'm a geek who likes to change his machine around a LOT!) :) LOL! Feel free to post back here if you have any questions.

Edited by ReguloJ, 06 April 2009 - 04:53 PM.

SongCloud

SongCloud

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
That is correct. You should be fine. If you get a notification telling you that the key is already activated, it should give you a number to call for Microsoft support. Simply call them and let them know that you had to reformat your hard drive and that you need to reinstall the program on the same machine. They might ask you for some information about when and where you purchased the key, but once they do that, they will give you an activation code to enter in. At that point you will be all set.

As a side note, make sure that you have downloaded all of the drivers for the various hardware on your laptop before you wipe and reload the OS unless you are restoring from the original installation or OEM recovery media. If you don't, there is a chance that you will not be able to access the internet from the machine to download the drivers that you need. :)

Please do reply back and let me know how it went! :)

ReguloJ

ReguloJ

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Success!

I was able to reformat my notebook using the provided system disk by Toshiba. From there I the did typical updates though Windows Update and built up to saving the installing of office for last. (DUNDUNDUN!!!!) lol I went to microsoft.com to download a fresh trial version of Office 2007 Home and Student Edition. Because it had only been a month since I last converted a trial version I just used the same key to activate my last trial version. From there once it was activated I plugged in the full conversion key and BAM! it worked. :)

Again thanks to SongCloud for the little added confidence in this all being just as easy as the first conversion!

Woot!

Regulo

SongCloud

SongCloud

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
Glad to see that it worked! Have fun!! :)