Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet speed

• Please log in to reply

loyo999

loyo999

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
My internet is extremely slow most of the time. When I bring up Google and the initial search it's quick, but when entering into one of the search results, it takes forever MOST of time lately. I've had your group check my connectivity speed back in Sep '08 and the speed is fine. It just seems as if there is something behind the scenes that's making it slow. I have DSL with ATT, I run Windows XP SP 3 (512 MB of RAM) and I don't know what else you need. I had a Trojan virus back in Sep '08 which Malaware took out and it's been ok since. I run McAfee for all my protection. What can I check to see if there is some other Spyware that Malaware and McAfee aren't picking up? Or could it be my memory? My C drive has 15 Gb of free space. Thank you ahead of time for all your support - your team is great!!

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hello welcome to GeeksToGo, We will be happy to help you.

I will need some more information
If it is a name brand system:
Make and Model
Operating System
Age of the computer
Memory Total
Hard Drive Size, How much free space

If it is custom then I will need the following:
The CPU brand and model
The Motherboard brand and model
Ram amount and speed
Cd\Dvd rom interface IDE/ SATA
Hard Drive size and free space
Any cards in PCI slots
Any software installed\updated and driver updates done just before problem started

All this will help in determining a course of action to best correct the problem you are experiencing.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If you honestly believe you may have a infection
Please go to the "Malware Forum" link in my signature below and follow the instructions at the top
Especially the "You Must Read This Before Posting A HijackThis Log".

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself.
If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty start a topic and post the requested logs in THAT forum.
Once the malware technicians have cleared out any infection and given you a clean bill of health, if the problem continues then feel free to post back here and we can investigate the problem even more.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts

My C drive has 15 Gb of free space

Out of how much?

What are your numbers from here: http://speedtest.net/

What browser/version do you use?

loyo999

loyo999

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Broni,

Posted Image

Posted Image

My total C Drive is 37.2 GB and 15.4 GB of it is free

Internet Explorer 7

I ran Malware and McAfee... wasn't sure if I should run one of the Spyware applications in addition to.

Thanks for your help.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Since Bell South is listed, I assume, it's DSL, correct?
If so, your download speed looks fine, but the upload speed is unacceptable slow. I'd complain here to your ISP.
Now, since the download speed looks fine, your browsing should be fine too.

Close IE.
Go Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools, and click on Internet Explorer (no add-ons). Same slowness?

If so, see if Firefox will do better.

loyo999

loyo999

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Yes i do see a difference without the add-ons. However, is there something still wrong with my system that does not allow for a quicker turnaround without having to do this? I recently upgraded to ATT's faster DSL service, I'll see what this does.

Also, is Malware enough to catch Spyware or do you recommend another application in addition to Malware?

Thank you,

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
If you're talking about Malwarebytes, it's one of the best. You're in good hands :)
If IE runs faster without add-ons, then you see what your problem is.
Disable all add-ons through Tools>Manage Add-ons.
Restart IE.
Now, try to enable add-ons one-by-one, restarting IE every time, until you find the culprit.
Main suspects - toolbars (Google, Yahoo, and so on...).

I strongly advice, you install Firefox, so you have another browser to compare performance.

loyo999

loyo999

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Stupid question, can i use IE and Firefox interchangeably? Or do I need to uninstall one to use the other?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
You can use as many browsers, as you wish.

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Hi Broni and loyo999,

Just wanted to help clarify. Firefox and IE can both be used. Firefox is just an alternative to IE, a more secure and faster one in my opinion. You can use them interchangeably as often as you like. You can even have both open at the same time. You can change which one is your default at any time. It's not like you have to just pick one or the other.

You can find the link to download firefox for free in my signature. Sorry to butt in Broni.

Good Luck!

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

Sorry to butt in Broni.

I don't own this tread....LOL

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

Sorry to butt in Broni.

I don't own this tread....LOL

HAHA. I know :)

loyo999

loyo999

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Ironically I installed Firefox and I found it slower than IE .... is this odd? My computer is rather old and I know I don't have alot of memory, do you not think memory has anything to do with the slowness (512 MB RAM)?

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Hello loyo999

I dont know exact numbers but i think that is minimal for xp , i would recommend 1 GB

Try this tweak by Kelvin ,lets see if we can make firefox faster

Thread @ http://www.geekstogo...er-t177375.html
Best of luck

Anthony19