Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

code 10 wont reinstall graphics card,after i uninstalled it

• Please log in to reply

itryed2

itryed2

• PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
I purchased nvidia geforce fx 5500 video card.First i uninstalled the factory intel extreme video driver then installed the nvidia card.Everything worked,for a wile,then my computer stared restarting on its own(i had this problem a few weeks ago and it was a bad power cord)so i replaced the power cord.But when i started the computer nvidia didnt start on its own,i open divice manager it shows a yellow ! near nvidia card,so i go to its shortcut on the desktop and it doesnt open,i try uninstalling it,took card out of the pci,then reinstalling it,same thing still doesnt work,so aggervated i pulled it back out and try to reinstall the factory(internal)video card wich is (Intel extreme)it doesnt install nor does it update.So i went back to the store returned it and got a new card(same kind)and same thing wont work or update.when i try to update it it says computer cant find a better match for your hardware?And somehow(dont remember how)i got a code 10.my screen still works,things are blurry but i can still use my computer?can anyone help?could i have messed up my mother board?Thanks for all your time.

Advertisements

itryed2

itryed2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
I (think)I fixed my problem.I installed driver sweeper.http://www.guru3d.com/index.php?page=driversweeper then Disabled my onboard video card.Then went back to the store and purchased Radeon 9250 from Diamond Stealth.It installed fine,so far so good,keeping fingers crossed that comp doesnt restart by itself over and over again.And if it does restart over and over agin could this be the mother board not being able to handle the video card upgrade?thanks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I will need some more information
If it is a name brand system:
Make and Model
Operating System
Age of the computer
Memory Total
Hard Drive Size, How much free space

If it is custom then I will need the following:
The CPU brand and model
The Motherboard brand and model
Ram amount and speed
Cd\Dvd rom interface IDE/ SATA
Hard Drive size and free space
Any cards in PCI slots
Any software installed\updated and driver updates done just before problem started

All this will help in determining a course of action to best correct the problem you are experiencing.

itryed2

itryed2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
Ok I spoke to soon,im haveing the same problem with the new card.It worked fine up untill i restarted my computer.I get this error.No ATI graphics driver is installed,or the ATI driver is not functioning properly.Please install the ATI driver appropriate for your ATI Hardware.I hope i have the rite info you need.

XP Home edition,version 2002,SP3,
computer Intel ®
celeron ®CPU 2.66GHz
2.67 Ghz,1.24 GB of ram
memory:1272 MB RAm
Physical memory (K)
total 1302000
available 861416
File system NTFS
11.2GB used space
61.2GB free space

Thank you!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Lets start with the most obvious solution first.
Go to Device manager and see if there are any yellow exclamation marks on any of the video entryies.

Also I have found the newest drivers according to ATI for your video card
Go Here and click on the appropriate settings. Then click "Go" to get to the newest set of Catalyst Display Drivers Version 6.11
Download those to your desktop and hold on to them till we finish the previous step.

itryed2

itryed2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
There is a yellow ! near Radeon driver(the driver i just installed)I have installed the new 1 to my desktop

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Click on the driver you saved on your desktop. If it is self installing then it should install where it needs to go.
You may have to reboot for the settings to take affect.
If it doesn't self install but wants to create a folder or such then create it on the desktop.
Then go into device manager again and right click on the driver with the yellow exclamation mark and then on update driver
When it ask s for the location point it toward the location you saved the updated driver at.

itryed2

itryed2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
i finished the steps,the card installed,but i cant do the basic setup,its buggy,i cant choose the options because i cant see them,for example it ask me to choose a easy setup wisard but i cant see the wisards,and in advanced setup i cant see my options.so i restarted the computer,gave me the same error caode as befor so i went throu the 2 steps again and it installed but i cant do the basic setup and my computer is still running like i dont have a graphics card.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
ok I'm going to do more research and get back with you. We will figure this out, just give me some time to look into it alittle more deeper.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Something I just found about this error. As I am just getting deeper into this I'm geting information to pass along to you and so that in case others may have the same problem they can access the same data I am giving you through this thread.

Error Message: "The device cannot start. (Code 10)."

Translation: This can occur with NVIDIA-based display cards when the PC does not assign the correct system resources to the adapter.

Solution: For starters, know that this could be the result of incorrect drivers or a conflict with previous drivers from a different card vendor. You should download the latest ForceWare drivers from NVIDIA at www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp and follow NVIDIA's instructions for proper installation.

If new drivers don't help, then you probably need to make a quick change to one of your BIOS settings. You can access the BIOS by tapping the DELETE key when your system checks its memory during boot up. (If in doubt, keep hitting DELETE about twice per second from the time the system first lights up until you see the main BIOS screen.) Now, somewhere in the BIOS Features area, you may find an option called Assign IRQ To VGA. This is especially prevalent on older systems. This option must be enabled. (Some newer boards may lack this option and merely enable it automatically.) Save your settings and exit.

Advertisements

itryed2

itryed2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
I enabled the vga then did the updates,i get the same thing when i restart are turn the computer back on the card no longer works.will forceware work with the radeon 9250 card?i had returned the nvidia card after it didnt work as i stated in my second post.As long as i dont restart my computer after the updates the card works fine.I dont understand this.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I do not know about forceware. When you say you enabled vga was that in bios?
Then you updated and got the same thing. Did you disable onboard video?
Something is stopping the settings from holding.
I'm wondering if you might have some type of infection. When this problem originally started was there any software update or downloaded right before?

itryed2

itryed2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
I tryed tapping delete nothing happend so i tapped f8 and there it said enable vga and when the comp started everything was big,icons/pages.The onboard video is disabled.Im not sure if any updates were downloaded because my wife and son also use this computer.I just ran malwarebytes and super anti spyware and it didnt find anything.But Its very possible that It could be infected.

itryed2

itryed2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
That would explane why my comp kept restarting on its own after installing the first video card.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You went into the diagnostic side of Windows. I would like to make sure you are really clean if you don't mind. To do that you will need to do the following

Please go to the "Malware Forum" link in my signature below and follow the instructions at the top
Especially the "You Must Read This Before Posting A HijackThis Log".

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself.
If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty start a topic and post the requested logs in THAT forum.
Once the malware technicians have cleared out any infection and given you a clean bill of health, if the problem continues then feel free to post back here and we can investigate the problem even more