Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Monitor wont stay on

• Please log in to reply

kwrbassist

kwrbassist

• Pip
  • 2 posts
So I just took the components from my old computer(which was working fine) and put them in my moms computer. The only thing I kept from her's is the case. What happened at first is the Monitor wouldn't get signal through the on board graphics or through an AGP graphics card, then I cleared the bios through jumpers on the motherboard and then put the jumper on the motherboard from 133MHz FSB to 100mhz fsb. I restarted my system and it worked just fine. I turned the system off and switched it back to 133 (WHICH IS THE WAY IT'S ALWAYS BEEN BEFORE, AND ALWAYS WORKED FINE) and the monitor wont turn on again, I switched it back 100MHZ and the system works fine. I have no clue what it could be. Any suggestions?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hello welcome to GeeksToGo, We will be happy to help you.

I will need some more information
If it is a name brand system:
Make and Model
Operating System
Age of the computer
Memory Total
Hard Drive Size, How much free space

If it is custom then I will need the following:
The CPU brand and model
The Motherboard brand and model
Ram amount and speed
Cd\Dvd rom interface IDE/ SATA
Hard Drive size and free space
Any cards in PCI slots
Any software installed\updated and driver updates done just before problem started

Also need to know what the power supply wattage was in old computer and in your mom's case.

All this will help in determining a course of action to best correct the problem you are experiencing.

kwrbassist

kwrbassist

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
IT is a custom build. Here are the specs:

AMD XP 2200
MSI KM2M COmbo Motherboard
1.46GB of DDR PC3200 400mhz ram
HP CD-Writer Plus CD ROM via IDE
Hard Drive is an 80GB WD and has 68.3 GB remaining and hooked up via IDE
No PCI cards
There was no software installed when the issue began. What happened was I removed all my equipment out of my old computer that was working perfectly fine before, and the only thing from my moms computer is the case and power supply (tried to install mine, but was too long, so the cd rom drive could not slide all the way in). I plugged everything in after I changed hardware and the screen didn't turn on. Reset CMOS and changed the jumper for the FSB and the monitor came on and now I have to keep the FSB jumper set at 100mhz and not 133mhz.
The power supply from my computer was 250w and the one that is curently in the case says it's max is 130watts. I am thinking it's the power supply causing this, but why?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
almost half the power?
That could be causing a real problem with the board.
If you figure a hd uses 30 watts continues so that only leaves 100 watts to try and run everything else. My suggestion is to buy at least a 300 watt ps
If hd takes 30 watts, cdrom will use prob 10 to 15 when its powering, cpu and fan, case fans, motherboard.. You can see how the watts will go down to hardly anything real fast. The normal ps in most systems now is 300 or better. New system builders will try to get 650 to 750 to ensure they have the wattage to run what they have now and for any future upgrades.
Not sure what your budget is for a ps but you may consider a new case as there is not much difference in the price.
Go Here to see a low end 300 watt ps.
Go Here to see a new case with 300 watt ps already in it.
I hope this helps you decide