Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

D-Link DGL-4300,Dropping internet connection,and Vista Home Premium?

• Please log in to reply

jmy2469

jmy2469

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have had an ongoing issue for a few months already with dropping my internet connection. Each time I try to click on diagnose and repair the issue,I come up with different error messages and I do not know what to try next. I am running Vista Home Premium 32 bit and have my desktop wired to a D-Link DGL-4300 router. Never had any issues until now. I have not had a solid connection for awhile now. I would be online,then my connection drops. Then I would wait for days and then it would connect again. Only to drop again. When trying to diagnose and repair,I get the following:
a) The following may need to be adjusted in order for you to connect (Windows Firewall)
b) There is a problem with your DNS Configuration
c)Cannot communicate with Primary DNS Server

Absolutely no clue what to check next. Just been driving me nuts for a few months now.
Any ideas on how I can get a solid internet connection back? Thanks for the help. John

Advertisements

SongCloud

SongCloud

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
Hello jmy2469, and welcome to Geeks To Go!

This sounds a lot to me like it might be a hardware issue with either the machine's network card or the router. Do you have any other computers that you could connect to this router and see if the connection on that machines drops when yours does?

If you do not have another machine to test this with then it might be useful to buy a new network card for your machine to try and eliminate that as the issue. You can get a good network card for under $30 now, so this is a lot less expensive than getting a whole new router only to find out that it wasn't the cause of the issue. Plus the DGL-4300 is a great router. I should know, i have the exact same one at my house! :)

Please feel free to post back here if you need further assistance or if you have any questions!

jmy2469

jmy2469

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
My cousin and his girlfriend have notebooks runnning XP and also another desktop that is connected,have no issues at all with getting connected. The computer I am having issues with is a desktop. No network card. I know the DGL-4300 is a great router. I am hoping that this is something simple and can figure out a way to get my desktop onlnie again.

SongCloud

SongCloud

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
The desktop will have the "network card" built into the motherboard.

My cousin and his girlfriend have notebooks running XP and also another desktop that is connected,have no issues at all with getting connected. The computer I am having issues with is a desktop.

This tells me that the issue is most likely either with your NIC on the desktop or with the patch cord. If possible, try switching network cords with the other desktop machine, except leave the ends that are plugged into the router as they are. If you still have issues, this will eliminate the cables and port on the router as the source of the issue.

Fortunately I have to deal with this kind of stuff every day for my day job, so it shouldn't take too long to get this solved. :)

Please post back and let me know if you are still having issues with your connection after swapping the cables for the machines. Also feel free to let me know if you have any questions.

jmy2469

jmy2469

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I did a reset on my cable modem and also the router.
I was also reading online with issues with Windows Vista TCP Auto -Tuning with certain routers. I turned that feature off.
Connection has been rock solid since I got home from work. If I have anymore trouble,I will let you know. Thanks for all the help!