Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Software for recovering deleted files

• Please log in to reply

bettei

bettei

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
Is there a reliable and simple to use software available to download for recovering deleted files? I am hesitant to download from some of the sights unless I know they are safe to do so.

I would like to see if I can recover some digital video clips I deleted from my computer using the recycle bin. It has been within the last 6 months, so I would hope they have not been overwritten yet.

And if I do find an acceptable program to use, is it a simple thing to find the .avi files I am searching for? Also, is there any chance that you could re-infect your computer after spending quite a bit of time getting rid of a virus by restoring old files?

I am not sure what to do, so any help would be appreciated.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
try the PC Recovery software I have in my signature below

bettei

bettei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
I did download the program, but could you give me a little further help please? If I just want to recover video clips from a folder that was in "My Pictures", I would select drive C, I presume, and then what?

Isn't there a place where I can enter the file name itself, or just recover any .avi files without scanning the whole computer? If so, I did not see that option.

I'm just a lowly intermediate if that at computer work...thanks.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
ok, so you are looking for individual files in different folders right?
there is another program for that.
The program I offered is more for getting complete drives.
Let me find the one I used for getting files back.

Go Here
Everything is there for you. This will get files back that even virus's deleted
A word of caution tho. If the files were infected and thats why they were deleted, if you bring them back they may still be infected.
Be very careful what you restore back.

Go Here2 for a different recovery program. Either of these should do what you want.

Edited by rshaffer61, 06 April 2009 - 03:04 PM.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Full variety of free, clean programs: http://www.raymond.c...overy-software/

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thanks Broni...I didn't have a site like this to advise of. A nice site to remember

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
You're most welcome :)

bettei

bettei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
I was able to find the video files I wanted using the Recuva with a deep scan very easily, since I knew what I had named them. I saved them to D drive, since they said you stood a better recovery with sending it to a different drive.

However, while they do appear as the right thumbnail picture, my Windows Media player won't open them now. It said it didn't support the type of codec that was used to compress the file, even though the properties of the clips were still .avi I think. These codecs are a nightmare ... I have had trouble with vids from a kodak camera also, because they were .mov files. :)

Anyway, what else can a person do to get these recovered files to play?

Thanks!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Get VLC player.
Go Here and download it.
It will play a wide variety of file types.

bettei

bettei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
Well, the VLC won't open it either, it can't read the source folder. How frustrating to have it sitting there, and not be able to use it.

Is there anything else you can think of that could possibly do this before I have to give up on it? I can't figure it out, because it says in properties that it is an .avi file too, and don't know why it won't play.

Thanks again

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go Here and take a look at the video players there. These are programs that most GeeksToGo members have used and\or suggest.
To backtrack alittle, do you remember how the video files were downloaded and or created? It may be possible that since you said codecs was a recurring problem that you may need to update your audio and\or video codecs in your system.

bettei

bettei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
They were just short video clips I made with my Canon camera, and I thought I had saved the raw form of them on a CD, but didn't. I have these clips on a DVD slide show, and tried to recapture them from that, but so far no luck.

I could insert the DVD formatted slide show into my computer and attempted to just copy the starting 6 clips, which were the only videos on the whole slide show, the rest are still images. And I got get them into my Windows media player and they appeared as chapters, but could not edit them. And then I tried to edit them with Prism and convert them back to either an mpeg or .avi file, but while I could get them to play in there, my slide show software did not accept them, it said it had no file handler for that type of .avi.

It also copied back the 6 clips all in one long clip, which I didn't want, I just wanted to use a 2 of the six clips that were on there. So I downloaded another program, Video Pad video editor, and could get the long clip downloaded to that. And I worked with that a few times, separating which parts of the footage I wanted to use, cropped it, and sent it to be converted and saved as an .avi and again as .mpeg. They went to my pictures as I wanted them to, but again even though they appearred to be ok, my slide show software did not accept them. When I first copied them back to my computer in my documents, they appeared as video-TS/FO.VTS files.

So if I can't get the restored files to work, could I approach it from getting them from the DVD slide show someway and convert them from there? I know when I first inserted the dvd and tried to copy the files, it took a really long time, and made a huge file. And I wondered why that was, since all 6 clips together don't even play for 10 minute total.

Hope I have explained this well enough, it is very frustrating to be able to have it on a DVD, but can't copy it back to my computer the right way.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ok if the files are video-TS/FO.VTS then you have native video format files. To make them avi's and the correct way you will need some sort of converting software like DVD2Avi and Gordian Knot
That will make the files into true avi files.

bettei

bettei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
Thanks, I will look those up too. They don't make it easy, do they???

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No they don't.
But with the right software and some research your videos will look great.