Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

New Gaming Machine Advice

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi - looking for advice on a system I want to put together. This is my first build and I want to make sure the components I've selected (for intense PC gaming) are acceptable or too much or some choices are better than others - or maybe I can make different or more efficient/less expensive options for RAM, CPU, MBoard, Video Card selections. Any advice on this system is greatly appreciated:

COMPUTER CASE: Antec 902 Case; ATX Mid-Tower (black steel); Model # Nine Hundred Two -$159.99

POWER SUPPLY: Corsair CMPSU-850TX, 850W, ATX12v 2.2 / EPS12v 2.91; SLI-ready, CrossFire ready; APFC (active power factor correction) 80+ certified; 99% APFC; extra-long & fully sleeved cables; four 8-pin PCIe pwr connectors for SLI systm or CrossFire; 8 SATA & 8 Molex connectors for connecting multiple drives & peripherals; $139.99

MOTHERBOARD: ASUS P5Q3, LGA 775 Intel, P45 Chipset, ATX Intel Mboard; $149.99

C.P.U.: Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale, 3.16 GHz, LGA 775, 65W, Dual-Core Processor; $189.99

MEMORY: Corsair Dominator 4GB (2x2GB), 240-Pin; DDR3 SDRAM; DDR3 1800 (PC3 14400), Dual Channel Kit; $284.00

COOLING: Cooler Master V8, RR-UV8-XBU1-GP, 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler; $69.99

VIDEO CARD: BFG Tech, GeForce GTX 280 1GB 512-bit GDDR3, PCI Express 2.0x16 HDCP Ready, SLI supported; $329.99

SOUND CARD: Creative Sound Blaster Audigy SE, 7.1 Channels, PCI Interface; $39.99

HARD DRIVE: Western Digital VelociRaptor, 150GB, 10,000 RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s; $179.99

DVD BURNER: not yet selected

CARD READER: not yet selected

AUDIO SYSTEM: Logitech X-240, 25 Watts, 2.1 Speaker; $48.99

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
You got a good setup there as is.

A quick glance if the board you choose supports decent OC'ing then you can get the Intel E8400 instead of the E8500 while it may seam slower you can push it to 4.0ghz with liquid cooling or 3.6ghz with the stock HSF (a little warm but it will handle it, nothing an replacement HSF couldn't fix)

Good Video card choice overall a nice system.

Just another note, just make sure the case is big enough to handle a 10+ inch long card!

Corsair makes a good PSU, I got the 1000w version and I love it, Just that it is 8 or 9 inches long. You need to pay attention to size as some components are getting huge.