Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I believe my winsock is busted

• Please log in to reply

Flragnararch

Flragnararch

• Pip
  • 5 posts
So here's how the problem started. I'm powering down my laptop and getting ready to go to work. Alls well and good, get to work start working, halfway into shift things die down, so I bust out the laptop and get ready to putz around. The first thing that shows up is an error message comes up about incorrect powering down and possible damage to the hard disk and to please scan. I let it do its thing, nothing comes up and am on my merry way. Well part way into my surfing/putzing what have you, my internet starts lagging real bad. Long story short, some of my data is corrupted. I restarted, f8 and ran a Windows Memory Diagonostic, it deleted a bunch of corrupted files.

All well and good I can just uninstall anything that's overly corrupt and repair the rest, gonna be a few hours, but thats what I get for rushing my power down.

Restart after, windows starts up fine, bunch of error message pop up.

Lost a couple of acer installs, itunes, firefox, steam, quicktime, and a couple of music files to name a few.

I go over to try and connect to the internet to get some of the stuff I can get, no dice.

A few google searches gets me to ipconfig/all which shows some blanks, ipconfig/reset which gives me a adapter is not permissible error, which leads to a winsock repair guide.

Msinfo32 under components, under network, in protocols has me missing all of my NetBIOS sections

Manual fix directed me to try netsh winsock reset in command prompt which I did but no luck.

I did try system restore before all this thinking maybe it would just roll back to before all the corruption, but no dice

Still researching, but if someone knows the quickfix, I'm all for admiting I'm a dumbass and taking it.

Specs if you need them
Model
Brand Acer
Series Aspire
Model AS6930-6942
Part# LX.ABL0X.013
General
Operating System Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit
CPU Type Intel Core 2 Duo T6400 2.0G
Screen 16" WXGA
Memory Size 4GB DDR2
Hard Disk 250GB
Optical Drive DVD Super Multi
Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GS
Video Memory 512MB
Communication Modem, Gigabit LAN and WLAN
Card slot 1 x Express Card
Dimensions 15.2" x 10.9" x 1.6-1.7"
Weight 7.5 lbs.
CPU
CPU Type Intel Core 2 Duo
CPU Speed T6400(2.00GHz)
CPU FSB 800MHz
CPU L2 Cache 2MB
Display
Screen Size 16"
Wide Screen Support Yes
LCD Features Acer CineCrystal LCD
Display Type Wide XGA
Resolution 1366 x 768
Operating Systems
Operating System Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit
Graphics
GPU/VPU NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GS
Video Memory Dedicated 512MB
Graphic Type Dedicated Card
Hard Drive
HDD 250GB
HDD Interface SATA
Memory
Memory Speed DDR2 667
Memory 4GB
Memory Spec 2GB x 2
Optical Drive
Optical Drive Type DVD Super Multi
Optical Drive Interface Integrated
Communications
Modem V.92 56K
LAN 10/100/1000Mbps
WLAN 802.11a/b/g/Draft-N WLAN
Ports
Card Slot 1 x ExpressCard/54 slot
USB 4 x USB (3 x USB, 1 x eSATA/USB combo port)
Video Port 1 x VGA, 1 x HDMI
Audio Ports Headphones/speaker/line-out with SPDIF support
Microphone
Line-in
Audio
Audio Integrated Sound card
Speaker Two integrated stereo speakers
One Acer Tuba CineBass booster supporting low-frequency effects
Input Device
Touchpad Yes
Keyboard Standard
Supplemental Drive
Card Reader 5-in-1 card reader for optional MultiMediaCard, Secure Digital card, Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO or xD-Picture Card
Webcam Yes
Power
Battery 6-cell lithium ion
Physical spec
Dimensions 15.2" x 10.9" x 1.6-1.7"
Weight 7.5 lbs.

Also device manager showed no error messages, although I didn't check for missing hardware.

Edited by Flragnararch, 06 April 2009 - 09:37 PM.

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hey Flragnararch -- welcome to G2G :)

It sounds to me like there's been a fair amount of corruption -- for this reason I think it would be a good idea to verify that none of the core Windows files are corrupt. Try running a sfc /scannow.

Once that has run to completion, please let us know if you are still experiencing the winsock issue, and if any files were replaced.

Thanks,
- Dan

Flragnararch

Flragnararch

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I had to do a factory reset, computer management launcher was corrupted, so I couldn't check the event logs.
The good news is no disc errors. So I spent most of the day removing bloatware and getting my stuff back on my brand new laptop XD

ran a memtest in there at the recommendation of a friend too, that came up clean so the ram is good.

Edited by Flragnararch, 08 April 2009 - 12:45 AM.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Ah, that's a shame :) I remember the days when factory resets meant you got a clean machine back, with only the core windows functionality. Now-a-days all you get is a system filled with junk. :)

Hopefully things go more smoothly for you, this time round. Thanks for letting us know.

Flragnararch

Flragnararch

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
since I have your attention for now I went ahead and rand sfc /scannow for giggles

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them

details included in CBS.log

I've started skimming it where the test started

most of it is move file source and ignoring duplicate ownership for directory, a few scattered set key values and a couple of scattered create directory.

POQ 40 is where the corrupt files that couldn't be repaired start. Its all windows sidebar files (which I never used before the reset and could easily enough just delete.

POQ 97 also had some corrupt files (I did it) on purble place, some stupid memory card game that I never play. It repaired that, but then went on to mention more windows side bar corruption unrepairable which I'm assuming was a game link.

Edited by Flragnararch, 08 April 2009 - 01:16 AM.

Flragnararch

Flragnararch

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
dup post

Edited by Flragnararch, 08 April 2009 - 01:08 AM.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
To be on the safe side, before you put too much onto your HD, I'd suggest running a Check Disk scan. It looks like it's non-essential items, but I'd be a little nervous after your machines previous melt-down. Entirely up to you, though :)

Flragnararch

Flragnararch

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Scan disk underway.

i was perusing my events again because that works now, and while I was making new recovery discs some 2800 event 11 errors with the cdrom source happened. The disks were written fine, so I believe the cable is fine, still in the process of researching.

Flragnararch

Flragnararch

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
scan disk went fine

can't find anything (helpful) on event 11 for cdrom besides a cable going bad

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
In regards to that error, I'd suggest that you start a thread over in the Hardware, Components and Peripherals forum, as they may be of more assistance.