Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New CMOS battery?

• Please log in to reply

reconman

reconman

• PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
My computer started to shut off and reboot on it's own randomly yesterday so I checked the temperatures,voltage for the cpu and psu, ran memtest etc and everything seemed to be fine in those regards. The problem continued today but I thought that if I unchecked the 'reboot upon crash' option with in Vista I might get some sort of BSoD error report, allowing me to google the error number and help solve my problem.

Unfortunately, the same problem occurred, an immediate shut down but no reboot since I turned the option off. I had previously checked all of the cables to see if anything was unplugged but I figured I would do it again since the computer was already off. Again,every thing was in the right place so I tried booting up the computer and nothing. Every now and then after flipping the PSU switch a few times, pressing the power button would make the LED power light up for a second and then nothing.

Opening up the case showed me that when the above happened, the fans would kick on for a second as well and then stop. So I took out the CMOS battery for a few minutes, popped it back in and it booted up. I chose the default settings for the CMOS/BIOS values, got to my desktop and it rebooted. Everything went smooth on the reboot but I'm wondering if my CMOS battery is going or possibly something else?

My system specs:
- e8400 @ stock 3ghz
- EVGA 8800gt
- 2gb RAM @ 800mhz Corsair CM2X (1gb/stick)
- GIGABYTE P35-DS3L
- VX550W Corsair PSU

Thanks for any help/advice :)

Edited by reconman, 06 April 2009 - 09:51 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Your description of problem and in particular this
"Every now and then after flipping the PSU switch a few times, pressing the power button would make the LED power light up for a second and then nothing.

Opening up the case showed me that when the above happened, the fans would kick on for a second as well and then stop."
This is more likely a power supply problem. Cmos battery problem in general when it starts to go out your system will not be able to hold the time or date correctly. Also you would have to set the bios settings almost everytime you rebooted.
How old is the system
Is the system or any components still under warranty
Was there any recent updates done to the system either hardware or software

reconman

reconman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
Thanks for the reply!

I built the system less than a year ago (not exactly sure on the specific month.) The PSU definitely shouldn't be going out this early but if it is, I'm hoping it's still covered. No hardware changes have been made recently and as far as I can remember I haven't installed or made any updates to any existing software that would impact the system like this.

EDIT: Looks like Corsair PSUs have a 5 year warranty on them.

Edited by reconman, 06 April 2009 - 10:24 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
5 years wow
I would check into it then. Go Here for the numbers to call them and see if they agree with my diagnostics.
If they do then they should replace it free of charge for you.
Please keep me informed as I would like to know and it might help others with the same problem to read this.

reconman

reconman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
So I gave Corsair a call today and explained what was going on. They told me to short the 24pin cable with a paperclip with everything but a few case fans unplugged, if the PSU fan/case fans start up and keep spinning, the PSU should be fine. How ever, when I did this the PSU fan along with my case fans took a second or two to kick on then they didn't even make a full rotation before crapping out. When I tried it again I got nothing unless I flipped the PSU switch off/on then the fans would crap out again.

Basically it was the same exact thing as when I had everything plugged in and used the computers power button. So it looks like the PSU is out. They sent me an email with the link for the warranty info I need to fill out in case my PSU was the problem so I shouldn't have any trouble getting a replacement.

Thanks for all the help rshaffer61 :)

Edited by reconman, 07 April 2009 - 12:58 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help. Please let us know how everything works out for you. If there is anything else I can do to help please feel free to ask.
Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help.
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible

reconman

reconman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
My new PSU arrived today from Corsair! They actually shipped it the same day I got an email from them saying they received my bad PSU. I plugged everything in and my computer booted right up and haven't had any problems yet :)

To any one who has a Corsair product that needs to be replaced and is still under warranty, Corsairs RMA process is absolutely wonderful. Although my RMA Status page never was updated like it should have been, I gave them a call and they told me my PSU had shipped and gave me the tracking number so there was really no problems.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help. Please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask.
Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help.
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible