Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Error Loading Operating System

• Please log in to reply

Random3322

Random3322

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I was installing Debian on a dual-boot(I resize my partition then install debian on the free space)with a win-32 loader, somewhere along it glitched and wouldn't let me finish the install(ex. grub, applications, etc.) it said I needed to complete the "Install core system" step which I had done numerous times. So I was forced to reboot, when I came back in it said "Error loading operating system".

So far I have done:
FixMBR, FixBoot, Rebuild Boot.ini, and ran chkdsk /r.

I really need help with this so anything is appriciated greatly, also someone stole all my CD's so I am using a Recovery Console CD I burned.

Thanks in Advanced.

Advertisements

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
Since you've run the recovery console steps, the next step (IMO) would be a repair install of Windows. For that you will need an installation CD. Make sure that you save your Product key also, as you may need it later on in the repair process.

You may be able to order a set of restore/recovery CD's from the manufacturer of your system.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Random3322 and I worked on this in Live Chat last night and ran the recovery console operations mentioned in his post. He has no cd's due to a recent theft, so we're forced to use Recovery Console or a UBCD (which I'm not very familiar with).

Random3322...

Let's see if we can get a handle on this. Boot into Recovery Console...when you get to the point where it shows what installations you can logon to, make note of that information and post it here for us exactly as it appears.

Once you've done that, logon to the Windows installation as you did last night. When you get to the prompt, type cd \ and press "Enter"...then type dir and press "Enter".

List the files (just the names) you see in the far right column for us. This will tell us what is present in the root of the drive.

Random3322

Random3322

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Random3322 and I worked on this in Live Chat last night and ran the recovery console operations mentioned in his post. He has no cd's due to a recent theft, so we're forced to use Recovery Console or a UBCD (which I'm not very familiar with).

Random3322...

Let's see if we can get a handle on this. Boot into Recovery Console...when you get to the point where it shows what installations you can logon to, make note of that information and post it here for us exactly as it appears.

Once you've done that, logon to the Windows installation as you did last night. When you get to the prompt, type cd \ and press "Enter"...then type dir and press "Enter".

List the files (just the names) you see in the far right column for us. This will tell us what is present in the root of the drive.

Sorry about not gettin' back to ya(busy), anyhow heres all the information.

1: C:\WINDOWS

thats ALL the installations I can log on to.

And for cd \ then dir.

0 337a639b82b1c01f729d1f17
328 boot.ini
2726 bootex.log
0 config.sys
0 debian
0 DELL
0 Documents and Settings
0 drvrtmp
56608 g21dr
8192 g21dr.mbr
91 grub.cfg
0 IO.SYS
0 MSDOS.SyS
47564 NTDETECT.COM
250048 nt1dr
0 program files
0 recycler
3422 smile.png
0 System Volume Information
0 Windows

Edit I also got CD's, if you guys need me to burn anything.

Edited by Random3322, 07 April 2009 - 11:27 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Boot into Recovery Console and logon to the Windows installation.

At the C:\Windows> prompt, type cd \ and press "Enter".

At the C:\> prompt, type the following, pressing "Enter" after each:

del debian
del g21dr
del g21dr.mbr
del grub.cfg
dir

Check to see that the above files no longer appear in the list. If they are gone, type exit and press "Enter". Allow the machine to try to boot normally.

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
For those interisted.

I was talking to Random3322 last night. Had him run a chkdsk /r it said it could not recover from some errors. I also instructed him how to remove the Debian partitions due to the install failed on the partitions there was no data on them. His had drive passed diagnostics and Instructed him how to get the recovery disks from Dell.

Random3322

Random3322

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
So I used diskpart to delete the debian partitions now it won't let me issue the "Fixboot" and "Chkdsk /r" commands. It is giving me "FIXBOOT cannot find system, or system drive specified is not valid(fixed)" and for the chkdsk "There are one or more unrecoverable errors", these aren't exact messages they gave me but what I can remember. I will try deleting the files you listed, I am under the thought that my computer is "looking" for the E partition, which was deleted. So maybe we can revert its eyes to the NTFS windows one we can fix it. But I have done fixmbr before, so i'm not sure.

Edit: I tried del debian and it gave me "Access is Denied"

Edited by Random3322, 08 April 2009 - 10:56 PM.

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
I wonder if it's remnants of the Grub bootloader that are preventing this?
In a normal Windows installation, the MBR points to the bootable partition, and the boot sector on that partition points to the Windows loading stuff. I believe with Grub the info in the MBR and maybe in the boot sector point to different places.

A repair of Windows may fix this - or someone in the Linux forums may have a better idea.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts

Edit: I tried del debian and it gave me "Access is Denied"

Probably because you and tuxmaster removed debian in the chat you had. Did you try the other commands? The grub bootloader and associated files are in the list.

Random3322

Random3322

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Well I got good news. I slaved my hd and recovered my data, then I burned myself a Debian CD and installed debian on my pc. So I got my pc back and my data, but I got only 1 issue. I am going to dual-boot with windows when I recieve my cd from dell so I need help with that. Anyway don't bother posting about it in this topic I will create a new one when I get my CD and everything OKAY! Anyway thanks for your help and dedication guys I reeallyyyy mean it, I know you guys tried your best but this was for the best(IMO) because I need my pc for easter. Anyhow be sure to check up on my topic I will post in a few days(if it arrives in a few days). Cya.