Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Restore

• Please log in to reply

ktgrnma

ktgrnma

• Pip
  • 5 posts
When I try to use System Restore to reset to previous checkpoint, (previous month, March) it will not reset. Instead I get the message cannot restore, "Printer Driver Microsoft XPS Document Writer Installed"! I did not install this driver, unless it came in as a Windows Update.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Try Safe Mode.

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
Try uninstalling this device from Control Panel...Printers and Faxes

If it's not located there, you may have to uninstall it through the Control Panel...Add/Remove Programs applet - or the Add/Remove Windows Features link in the left sidebar of the Add/Remove Programs applet.

ktgrnma

ktgrnma

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I deleted the printer driver and went back to system restore to restore to a previous checkpoint and it still will not work. Any other suggestions?

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
Did you delete the driver itself, or did you uninstall the device using one of the methods recommended above?
If you just deleted the driver, it's likely that remnants of the program are still littered about your system and your registry.

ktgrnma

ktgrnma

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I just used the recomended methods. How do I take care of the remnants,etc.?

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
Depending on how you got the XPS stuff, there should be an entry in Control Panel...Add/Remove Programs to remove it. On my XP Virtual Machine it's labelled "XPS Essentials Pack". Try uninstalling it from there.

If that doesn't work, you may want to try this free uninstall tool (I haven't tried it myself): http://xps-removal-t...n.qarchive.org/

As a last resort, you can reinstall the XPS Essentials Pack and then uninstall it. It's available here: http://www.microsoft...;displaylang=en