Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Analog vs Non-Analog Phone line

• Please log in to reply

Ldynte

Ldynte

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I've never had an issue before, but I moved into a new place and my modem states that it is not compatible with a non-analog phone line.

Heck, I wasn't aware they even installed non-analog lines anymore. :tazz:

Is there anything I can do?

Or do I need to call the phone company and have that corrected?

Thanks!

Tara

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Most home phone lines are analog & therefore so are most dialup modems. The only time you might find a non-analog line is in a large hotel or office block where a PBX system is in place. This means that the building has it's own mini phone network, often requiring you to enter a number (eg 9) on the phone to dial out.

PBX systems operate on a higher current & can damage a normal modem.

Analog uses only 4 wires max (often only the middle 2 are actually used), non-analog will often use 6 or 8. You could have a look at the phone socket on the wall & count the number of contacts you see inside it - if there are more than 4, then it isn't analog. However if there are only 4, you can't be certain whether its analog or not because some PBX systems terminate in the standard RJ11 jack, the same as analog ones.

Ldynte

Ldynte

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi Samm,

Thanks so much for the reply.

Great descriptions. I'll check into it and let you know.

Now, if I do have a non-analog phone line w/out the PBX. Can it be replaced?

It's a community (trailers) and I don't need to dial 9 to get out. I pay my own separate phone line to Verizon.

Thanks,

Tara

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
I live in England so I don't know how easy it would be for you to get an analog line put in, I don't see why it should be a problem. If it is a PBX system, then you can but a converter for the modem if necessary.

Ldynte

Ldynte

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thank you, Samm.

I'll check into it.

=)

I appreciate all your help.

Tara

Samm

Samm