Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Aspire 6920G CPU spikes

• Please log in to reply

waspeh

waspeh

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Sorry if this is the wrong section but its been a long time since I used this site and it's changed a lot.

Basicaly I have a Aspire 6920G:
Operating System: Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium 32Bit
Processor: Intel Core2 Duo T5750 (2.0GHz, 667MHz FSB, 2MB L2 Cache)
Memory: 4GB DDR2 RAM (2*2048MB Configuration)
Hard Drive: 250GB SATA HDD
Graphics Card: Mobile Intel® PM965 Express Chipset with Nvidia® GeForce® 9500M GS 512MB VRAM

I was having problems whilst running games where they would randomly slow down to an unplayable state, I however tracked this problem down to AudioDiag.exe and removing my sound drivers fixed this problem. However recently I have been having massive slow downs again. Games run smooth (50-60 FPS) however randomly my entire computer slows down and games become unplayable, programmes take ages to load. When I load up Task Manager my CPU usage is at 100% but no programmes are using abnormal amounts of CPU. So far the only fix (temp) is to just wait and stare at the CPU usage till it goes back below 10% (the programmes list by CPU doesn't seem to change much, if at all). Programmes then resume running normaly and my FPS returns to normal, however shortly after the problem returns.
So far I've tried virus scans, Spybot/adware scans, removed my anti-virus software, different graphics drivers but nothing has worked...It's become a real problem when trying to play games and was hoping someone could help me figure out what's causing the issue.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Download Process Explorer: http://technet.micro...s/bb896653.aspx
Unzip ProcessExplorer.zip, and double click on procexp.exe to run the program.
Click on View > Select Colunms.
In addition to already pre-selected options, make sure, the Command Line is selected, and press OK.
Go File>Save As, and save the report as Procexp.txt.
Attach the file to your next reply.

NOTE. It'd be the best, if you could run PE just when CPU usage spikes.

waspeh

waspeh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for the reply, I believe this is the log from when the CPU spikes occurred - minimising to save the log fixed the lag after about 30seconds but I believe I managed to saved it before it fixed itself.

Attached Files

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
From the log that you posted, WOW is eating up your CPU (36.74%).

If you terminate the WOW process, do the spikes and the slowness stop?

waspeh

waspeh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Well since WoW is a game its expected to use that much memory, but the spikes occur even when I'm not playing WoW.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
First of all, I still don't see 100% CPU usage. WOW - 37%, PE -19%, plus few lesser users.
You'd have to catch the moment, when you're NOT playing WOW, and CPU still spikes.