Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cannot renew ip address

• Please log in to reply

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Thanks. Try setup a static IP and see what happens.

Step 1 - Configure a Static IP:
  • Click Start, select Run, type ncpa.cpl and press OK
  • In the new window, right-click on your Wireless Network Connection and select Properties.
  • Select Internet Protocol Version (TCP/IP) and then press the Properties button.
  • Select the option Use the following IP Address: and then enter in the following details:
    • IP Address: 192.168.1.15
    • Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    • Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1
  • Select Use the following DNS Servers and enter in two DNS Servers.
    • Preferred DNS Server: 192.168.1.1
    • Alternate DNS Server: <leave blank>
  • Press OK.
Try to connect to your wireless network now; can you?

Advertisements

johnnyhobbs

johnnyhobbs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
You're welcome.

It says it is connected, but when I open firefox or internet explorer, both come up with a cannot view page

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Okay, repeat the steps I had you do to setup the Static IP, but revert them back to their Automatic settings. Not sure what time zone you're in, but I need to head off for an hour, so this'll be my last response for a bit.

Please do Part 1: Disable IEEE 802.1X Authentication from this MS Article - Wireless Connection Is Periodically Lost -- ignore the name for now. Once you have IEEE authentication disabled, try to connect; can you?

If not, please do the following.

Step 1 - Enable wireless tracing (Windows XP):
  • Click Start, select Run, type cmd and press OK
  • In the new command prompt window, type netsh ras set tracing * en
  • Restart your computer. Upon reboot, attempt to view available wireless networks -- *Note: it is important that you note down the time that you tried to connect, as I will need this information in order to identify where in the log to look -- please post the exact time (Hours, minutes, day, month).
  • Once it fails, navigate to %WINDIR%\tracing -- either type that manually into your explorer address bar, or navigate to your system root (i.e. C:\Windows\tracing).
  • The files we're interested in are
    • Wzctrace.log
    • Eapol.log
    • Wzcdlg.log
    • Netman.log
    • Netshell.log
  • Please ZIP these files and then upload them as an Attachment.
    *Note: if they are too large, I will PM you my e-mail address and you can send them to me that way.
  • Once you have uploaded the ZIP file, you can disable tracing by opening a command prompt and typing netsh ras set tracing * disable
Thanks,
- Dan

johnnyhobbs

johnnyhobbs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Reverted. Take your time. Thanks for everything so far

IEEE 802.1X Authentication was already disabled

Time: 02:20 April 8

Attached Files

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
A few questions:
1) What's the make and model of your network adapter?
2) What's the name (SSID) of the network you're trying to connect to? (NETGEAR?)
3) Have you ever been able to connect to this network?
4) If you use an Ethernet cable, can you connect to this network?

Thanks.

johnnyhobbs

johnnyhobbs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
I'll answer all of them later. It is 2:30 AM where I am, so I'm off to sleep. I can tell you now, though, that the connection was completely fine until about 3 days ago.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
No problem; I'll see you in the morning. I'll look through the logs tonight and hopefully post something useful for you to do before then.

I can tell you now, though, that the connection was completely fine until about 3 days ago.

This might mean I've been looking in the wrong place.

What have you installed in the last three days? What sort of firewall/anti-virus protection do you have in place?

Step 1 - Generate a startup and uninstall list:
Please download HijackThis (if you do not already have it) and install it -- once it is installed, restart your computer. Once the computer starts up, can you please launch HijackThis and then select the option Open the Misc Tools section -- select Generate StartupList log. Save the startup list in a safe location. Now select the option Open Uninstall Manager and then click Save list -- save it to a safe location. Please post the contents of the startup list and the uninstall list in your next response.

Step 2 - Start your machine in a clean boot state:
  • Click Start, click Run, type msconfig, and then click OK
  • In the new window, select the General tab and then select Selective Startup
  • Click to clear the Process SYSTEM.INI File check box.
  • Click to clear the Process WIN.INI File check box.
  • Click to clear the Load Startup Items check box. Verify that Load System Services and Use Original BOOT.INI are checked.
  • Click the Services tab.
  • Click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box.
  • Click Disable All, and then click OK.
  • When you are prompted, click Restart to restart the computer.
When the computer reboots, are you able to connect to the network?
*Note: To return Windows to a normal startup mode, please do the following:
  • Select Start, and then click Run.
  • Type msconfig, and then click OK.
  • Click the General tab, click Normal Startup - load all device drivers and services, and then click OK. When you are prompted, click Restart to restart the computer.
Step 3 - Download and run LSPFix:
Please download LSPFix from here. Run the LSPFix.exe that you have just finished downloading, and list all of the protocols that are in the 'Keep' and 'Remove' list; if there are protocols in the 'Remove' list, then please don't click 'Finish>>'. Simply close the program by pressing ALT+F4 or the Close [x] button.

G'night.
- Dan

Edited by Dan, 08 April 2009 - 06:16 PM.

johnnyhobbs

johnnyhobbs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
A few answers:
1) Toshiba Wireless LAN Mini PCI Card 7.43.0.9. Is this what you are looking for?
2) NETGEAR
3) 4 days ago I could
4) nope

"What have you installed in the last three days? What sort of firewall/anti-virus protection do you have in place?"
I downloaded and installed Comodo firewall. Ran a scan with t and it detected malware in NIRCMD.exe, so I deleted that file. And THAT was when I lost connection. I'm using Avast 4.8 and Comodo Firewall

Step 1 - Generate a startup and uninstall list:
Startup List
StartupList report, 4/8/2009, 11:55:21 PMStartupList version: 1.52.2Started from : C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.EXEDetected: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)Detected: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16791)* Using default options==================================================Running processes:C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exeC:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exeC:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exeC:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exeC:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exeC:\Program Files\COMODO\COMODO Internet Security\cmdagent.exeC:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exeC:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\EvtEng.exeC:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXEC:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\S24EvMon.exeC:\WINDOWS\system32\ACS.exeC:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exeC:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exeC:\WINDOWS\system32\HPZipm12.exeC:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\RegSrvc.exeC:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exeC:\PROGRA~1\VCOM\SYSTEM~1\MXTask.exeC:\PROGRA~1\VCOM\SYSTEM~1\mxtask.exeC:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exeC:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exeC:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exeC:\Program Files\COMODO\COMODO Internet Security\cfp.exeC:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exeC:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exeC:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe--------------------------------------------------Checking Windows NT UserInit:[HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]UserInit = C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,--------------------------------------------------Autorun entries from Registry:HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunRCScheduleCheck = C:\Program Files\VCOM\Recovery Commander\RCSCHED.EXE -CHECKFix-It AV = C:\PROGRA~1\VCOM\SYSTEM~1\MemCheck.exeavast! = C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exeCOMODO Internet Security = "C:\Program Files\COMODO\COMODO Internet Security\cfp.exe" -h--------------------------------------------------Autorun entries from Registry:HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Runctfmon.exe = C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exeSpybotSD TeaTimer = C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe--------------------------------------------------Shell & screensaver key from C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM.INI:Shell=*INI section not found*SCRNSAVE.EXE=*INI section not found*drivers=*INI section not found*Shell & screensaver key from Registry:Shell=Explorer.exeSCRNSAVE.EXE=*Registry value not found*drivers=*Registry value not found*Policies Shell key:HKCU\..\Policies: Shell=*Registry value not found*HKLM\..\Policies: Shell=*Registry value not found*--------------------------------------------------Enumerating Browser Helper Objects:(no name) - (no file) - {02478D38-C3F9-4EFB-9B51-7695ECA05670}(no name) - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3}(no name) - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll (file missing) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F}--------------------------------------------------Enumerating Task Scheduler jobs:Scheduled Checkpoint.job--------------------------------------------------Enumerating ShellServiceObjectDelayLoad items:PostBootReminder: C:\WINDOWS\system32\SHELL32.dllCDBurn: C:\WINDOWS\system32\SHELL32.dllWebCheck: C:\WINDOWS\system32\webcheck.dllSysTray: C:\WINDOWS\system32\stobject.dll--------------------------------------------------End of report, 4,268 bytesReport generated in 0.811 secondsCommand line options:   /verbose  - to add additional info on each section   /complete - to include empty sections and unsuspicious data   /full     - to include several rarely-important sections   /force9x  - to include Win9x-only startups even if running on WinNT   /forcent  - to include WinNT-only startups even if running on Win9x   /forceall - to include all Win9x and WinNT startups, regardless of platform   /history  - to list version history only

Uninstall list

Step 2 - Start your machine in a clean boot state:
Nothing

Step 3 - Download and run LSPFix:
Keep
mswsock.dll Tcpip
winrnr.dll NTDS
nwprovau.dll NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBIOS Compatible Transport Protocol
rsvpsp.dll (Protocol Handler)

Nothing in remove

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
A few things here. When you installed Comodo, did you install both the firewall and antivirus components? Because you have Avast! on your machine as well; having two anti-virus applications installed and/or running at the same time can often lead to problems. Try uninstalling Comodo and see if your issues persist.

Also, since your issue started with malware, I suggest you go to the Malware Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE thread. These self-help tools will allow you to clean up to 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after performing these steps, then please follow Step Five: Rootkit Detection and Step Six: Post an OTListIt2 Log; ensure you post your logs in the Malware Forum. If you are unable to run and/or post any of these logs, then mention that in your initial post in the topic you create in that forum.

While you're doing that, we'll continue in this thread as malware may not be the cause of your issue; I simply want to make sure. Can you please check to see if you can get an Internet connection when wired to your router and in Safe Mode with Networking.

Step 1 - Restart your machine in Safe Mode with Networking:
Please restart the problematic machine in Safe Mode with Networking and then see if you can get an Internet connection; can you?
*Note: You will not be able to use a wireless connection while in Safe Mode; please ensure all tests are performed with a wired (Ethernet) connection.

johnnyhobbs

johnnyhobbs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Thar we go! Just uninstalled Comodo and after the restart, I am now back on! Thanks! Only now I have no firewall. I'll try and redownload comodo but this time the firewall only. I think that last time I installed the full net security package

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
That's great to hear :)

And yes -- as you said, just be careful when you install Comodo; make sure only the firewall component is selected. This is actually the reason why we some times don't recommend Comodo -- it can be quite confusing.

I'm glad we could help, and thanks for taking the time to let us know how your issue(s) were resolved; feedback is always appreciated.

- Dan

johnnyhobbs

johnnyhobbs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Ahhhh dang it! I installed comodo making sure I installed just the firewall only and I get no connection :)
Are there any other free firewalls you recommend? Seeing as we now know that that is the problem

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
That's strange. We have a list of free security applications here -- you'll need to scroll down a fair bit to reach the firewall section.

johnnyhobbs

johnnyhobbs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Well Dan, I really want to thank you again for your help. LOL it would've been nice if I had told you I got Comodo earlier. But thank you for being so patient and taking the time to guide me through this. Your services as well as those of this entire site is greatly appreciated. :)

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
You're most welcome, Johny :) I'm glad we could help. :)