Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

GMail Invites problem?

• Please log in to reply

rrush

rrush

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
This is only a suspicion, and I'd like to hear what other's think.
I posted availability of gmail accounts and have sent a few invites to people who responded here. In the last couple of days, I've seen a marked increase in the amount of spam and phishing in my gmail box. Are we leaving ourselves open to nefarious users who are trying to get the gmail accounts simply for attacks, or are we responding to people who have left themselves open to attack and are being used as zombies for the attackers?

I don't want to deny gmail accounts to any legitimate request, but I'm much more reluctant to respond right now until I can get a handle on this.

Advertisements

Guest_jake6535_*

Guest_jake6535_*
I don't know. I give my gmail invites out [U][B]REAL[B][U] freely, and get tons of spam. But, I use TB, which will detect and move so well, I don't worry about it.

Guest_jake6535_*

Guest_jake6535_*
I don't know. I give my gmail invites out [U][B]REAL[B][U] freely, and get tons of spam. But, I use TB, which will detect and move so well, I don't worry about it.

Technogeek8

Technogeek8

• PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
I'm getting some good bit of spam too. I think the free g-mail account gravy train is closed for the evening :tazz: ...Try back again another time

David

Caine

Caine

• PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
Is it correct that bots are simply looking for the 'form' or 'structure' of e/m addys on a site, for eg: "[email protected]", whereas if it's disguised like for eg: " user2005 [ at ] gmail dot com" in the forum post, then the spam bots miss it?

Guest_jake6535_*

Guest_jake6535_*
Um Caine, that's not the prob. That's not allowed to post in that form. I use something like:

user~+[at]+~domain.web

Caine

Caine

• PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
Oh, i see. :tazz: Because I seem to have no unwanted mail at all. Well so far *fingers crossed*

rrush

rrush

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
So far, most of my junk is coming from an ebay phishing scam. Amazing that "my ebay account has been suspended" even though I don't use the gmail address for that account.
Oh well........I'll probably continue to give out accounts to those who bother to pm me for it. Just won't send from the post itself. Minor hassel really to spread the gmail around.

Caine

Caine

• PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

So far, most of my junk is coming from an ebay phishing scam. 

Any links or info on this scam to watch out for please?

Guest_jake6535_*

Guest_jake6535_*
Examples:
Dear eBay Member,
We regret to inform you that your eBay account has been suspended due to the violation of our site policy below:
False or missing contact information - Falsifying or omitting your name, address, and/or telephone number (including use of fax machines pager numbers, modems or disconnected numbers).
Due to the suspension of this account, please be advised you are prohibited from using eBay in any way. This prohibition includes the registering of a new account.
Please note that any seller fees due to eBay will immediately become due and payable.
eBay will charge any amounts you have not previously disputed to the billing method currently on file.

you are required to verify your eBay account by following the link below.

http://signin.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?SignIn&ssPageName=h:h:sin:US

We appreciate your support and understating, as we work together to keep eBay a safe place to trade.

Thank you for your patience in this matter.

Respectfully,
Trust and Safety Department
eBay Inc.

Helpful links
Search eBay - Find other items of interest
My eBay - Track your buying and selling activity
Discussion boards - Get help from other eBay members
eBay Help - Find answers to your questions

Learn More: Get notifications right on your desktop before an auction ends with the eBay Toolbar !

Trading guidelines

eBay will not request personal data (password, credit card/bank numbers, and so on) in an email. Learn how to protect your account.

Thank you for using eBay!
http://www.ebay.com/

As outlined in our User Agreement, eBay will periodically send you information about site changes and enhancements. Visit our Privacy Policy and User Agreement if you have any questions.

Copyright © 2005 eBay Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners.

eBay and the eBay logo are trademarks of eBay Inc.

and

Dear eBay,

During our regularly schedule account maintenance and verification we have detected a slight error in your billing information on file with eBay. This might be due to either following reasons:

- A recent change in your personal information (i.e. change of address)
             - Submitting invalid information during the initial sign up process.
             - An inability to accurately verify your selected option of payment due an internal error within
               our processors.

Your credit card on file with eBay      

Card number: XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-7679 (Not shown for security purposes)    Expiration date: 11/04

Please sign in to your eBay account and update your billing information:

http://signin.ebay.com/eBayISAPI.dll?SignIn&ssPageName=h:h:sin:US

If your account information is not update, your ability to sell or bid on eBay will become restricted.

Thank you,
eBay Billing Department

They all have URLs lsited as plain as day, but they link them to other places.

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts
only sure fire way to prevent yourself from being a victim in any phishing scheme is to do the following.

upon recieving one of those emails, regardless of the company involved, it is recommended that you not follow the links in the email, but rather you go to the site via its standard url to access your account.

that way if you want to assume the possibility that the info in the email is correct, you are assured that the information goes to the correct place. The biggest rule of thumb on that is knowing which email account you have your ebay attached to as well as any other sites you pay for services or goods on.

Guest_jake6535_*

Guest_jake6535_*
Also, if your only 14 like me, and don't have any accounts online that involve money...

:tazz:

Caine

Caine

• PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
Thanks to both of ye for the info. :tazz:

Sometimes I think I don't want to pay for anything online. ;)

I actually worry more about the likes of my father online. Bless him he doesn't seem to know what can happen at all sometimes. ;)