Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer freezes when coping files.

• Please log in to reply

limlik

limlik

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I built myself a new computer over Christmas Break. Had XP sp3. Almost every time I tried to copy a large-ish file from a memory unit of some sort TO my hard drives (3 set up in Raid) or from it to a memory unit, my computer would freeze. My mouse would lose power all together, not lights on, but my keyboard would stay lit up. Neither were responsive. When it freezes my computer say it is using 0% of my processor. Some how I got it to stop doing it. I then had something wipe out my registry so I had to reinstall windows. I upgraded to Vista Ultimate. I am now having that problem. If I copy a large file from usb drive, external hd, or even if I rip a large cd it freezes almost every time. I have Linux on a separate hard drive and I never have an issue with it locking up when copying. Would an issue with my hard drives cause this problem? If so how can I check. Here are my specs:

Windows Vista™ Ultimate (6.0, Build 6001) Service Pack 1
Processor: Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.83GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
Memory: 3262MB RAM
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 280

Update: It will also lock up when copying files within itself.

Edited by limlik, 07 April 2009 - 05:59 PM.

Advertisements

limlik

limlik

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I figured it out. My computer wasn't putting enough power to my Ram.