Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Eliminating login on WIN98SE

• Please log in to reply

Janis

Janis

• PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
System had been running fine, for over two years. Out of the blue came a windows protection error, and cycling reboots. The only option was safe mode. Selective start up did not correct the problem so I formatted the drive and did a fresh install of the OS. Now however I get that login screen despite telling it cancel each time. How do I get rid of it, and at what steps in loading the OS do I make the choice to keep this from being a nuisance?

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
which logon screen...one says networking, one says windows family logon

Janis

Janis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
When windows first boots up, a login box pops up. It says I won't see that box again if I don't enter a password, but I do every time I boot up. The pc is set as family login

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
search for a file that ends .pwl (find *.pwl)

delete it....you may have a corrupt password file