Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Window's XP, System Restore not working anymore

• Please log in to reply

JCatGuy

JCatGuy

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I brought CPU to the store that put this computer together, and suddenly my System Restore wouldn't work (althogh I can enter Restore Points) and he wouldn't reinstall System Restore because he claims that w/Windows XP, SP3 edition, that 50% of the people who run it, lose their system restore and it's a waste of time. (PS...if I can't get it going, is there a way to shut off, System Restore Points, as it adds points every few days, and it's probably taking up RAM, or maybe not?)
Now I feel he's just doing this cause he's a rip-off artist, as I was very ill when i purchased this comptuer and didn't notice until 2 weeks after, when I got down to putting it all together that he left me w/no discs....not Window's XP, no programs...
He said, "you have a problem, just bring it in store"...which I've done 3X....and each time, he's more and more rude.
The XP serial number was valid as I was able to regsiter comptuer w/Microsoft and use their (window's/micorsoft's) site for updates and programs...but, he won't give me the operating disc.

Is there a program that can behaves like a "system restore"...and fnally, lately, I've been forced to put my computer to sleep (sleep mode) instead of shutting it off...becasue it takes forever, whenever I shut it off completely, or do a restart, for everythign to get up to speed. And once it gets going...I get like 2-3.5 megs/second on Speedtest.net, and can view great TV online, etc...I even got that System Mechanic, because I had the free trial for (supposidely $49.99) but every day, it went down, until the 30th day, it went down to $9.99...however, as good as System Mechanic is, it doesn't help w/System Restore...and the otter issue, is of course, for any of the repairs to take effect, require a reboot. Once I reboot, it takes CPU to work normally upwards from 5-10 minutes, sometimes even longer...and I haven't a clue why.
only have about 8 programs rnning on start up...but, about 48 processes going, once everthing is running, when I cliick on TaskManager?

Anyi help would be most appreciated. JC

Edited by JCatGuy, 07 April 2009 - 10:15 PM.

Advertisements

smith134

smith134

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Try to open system restore in safe mode. If still you are not able to open it. Now you would have to repair windows.
To repair windows follow these steps:

1. First step is to boot up the computer with the Windows XP CD. You can configure that in BIOS. Change your startup order to "boot from cd" first

2. You will get a message "Press any key to boot from CD" on your screen. Simply hit any key on your keyboard to boot from Windows XP CD.

3. A blue screen will appear and begin loading Windows XP Setup from the CD.

4. When completed loading files, you will be presented with the following "Windows Setup" screen. You will want to select "To set up Windows XP now, press Enter." option. Just press the ENTER key to continue. Remember, do NOT press the "R" key because that option will bring you to recovery console.

5. Next screen is to agree with Windows XP licensing agreement. Press F8 key to agree and continue.

6. Windows setup will now look for existing Windows XP installations. If it finds any, you will be asked to repair an existing XP installation, or install a fresh copy of Windows XP. Press the "R" key to start repairing Windows XP.

This process will take some long time to repairing.

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,579 posts
There is an article here on How to troubleshoot System Restore.

http://bertk.mvps.org/html/srfail.html

If those efforts are exhausted, then reinstall System Restore. Here is an article on how to.

http://bertk.mvps.or.../reinstall.html

JCatGuy

JCatGuy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Great advice....unfortunately as I wrote in my initial Post...the seller, "did not leave me w/the Window's XP/SP3 operating Disc, only the serial number pasted on side of CPU...so, I don't have that option as you kindly bothly described, re:reinstalling Window's XP. That is actually the question. Is there a program that behaves like System Restore, that I can get, or download, because this, in my opinion crook of a small computer store owner, won't give me the Window's XP disc.
Anyway ideas?

And is it true as he claimed, that 50% OF those w/window''s XP, there's System Restore doesn't work.

One more thing...I can Make the Restore Pointsl...My computer just won't Restore them. And so the second question, since this guy isn't going to budge, is there a way to disable the sytem restore, so it stops wasting the RAM by making almost daily restrore points (none of which I can restore back to, why I haven't a clue).

Maybe someone knows? Thanks again, JR

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,579 posts
I am therefore assume that the C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386 does not exist in the computer. You can always order SP3 from Microsoft.

There is no hardcore evidence to sustain that System Restore is a burden, in fact, it is recommended to keep it active at all time. Also, other than the Service, it does not consumes RAM.

To turn SR Off follow these steps (Not recommended):

• On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
  • Click Properties.
  • Click the System Restore tab.
  • Check Turn off System Restore.
  • Click Apply, and then click OK.

There is no other program as such, unless it is a backup program. These are specialized applications. Don't get it If offered for free.

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts

"did not leave me w/the Window's XP/SP3 operating Disc,

What is the make and model of your system or is it custom built.

matofthemint

matofthemint

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
I had a similar problem. I remembered that SuperAntiSpyware has a repair section and System Restore is listed under that. Gave it a try and have had no problems since. You might give it a try, it's free, and if you don't want to keep it just un-install it. Google will find it for you.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Download Dial-a fix from my list below. Run the program and click the hammer icon at the bottom. From the Tools list chose Reinstall System Restore and click Go. I hope this will work for you without XP CD.