Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

folder properties won't open

• Please log in to reply

cstray

cstray

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
the rstrui.exe didn't recur; I think it's from a restore I tried (it stopped responding, so I ended it). I can't see any uninstall options for symantic client antivirus in add/remove programs or in c:\program files; I did unload it and disable the security to no avail.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
lemme think on it

anything preciptiate this? Malware infection, since removed?

cstray

cstray

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
not that I know of. It's been a problem for a while, can't say when it started. Haven't had any malware or viruses since I had to start over with a new hard drive in February. Didn't want to go through the hassle of re-installing windows but might have to.

cstray

cstray

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
gotta go, but I'll check for more suggestions later.

cstray

cstray

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I did the windows xp repair thing, and the issue seems to be with sp2. I can access folder properties before sp2, but not after. The uninstall for symantec showed up so I'm going to try to uninstall it then put sp2 back on. any other suggestions?

cstray

cstray

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
found a solution if anyone else is having this problem. go here:
http://forum.osnn.ne...php/t-3601.html

rspitzer

rspitzer

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have had this problem several times and have always found it to be a problem with IIS. If you do not host a web site on your windows XP then you can easily remove IIS using the add remove windows components. If you wish to keep IIS then you should be able to get it working by running CMD and entering IISRESET. This should stop and start the IIS services. Your folder properties will now work.
The problem seems to be a result of IIS not completing it's startup properly or hanging during startup.