Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Enlargement

• Please log in to reply

sourav

sourav

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi Everybody,
I have a digital photo with 1800 x 1200 resolution 300 dpi in my computer.I want to print it large poster size with same quality as the picture has.How to do it..Anyone know the procedure,how to do it.and i want to print it also 24 x 36'' photo paper with same quality as the picture has..How to do it..Please help me.

Edited by sourav, 08 April 2009 - 01:51 AM.

Advertisements

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
It's impossible to resize a raster graphic image without loss in quality. Some programs, such as Photoshop or GIMP, can use algorithms to help mitigate some of the quality loss, but there will still be significant quality loss when doing a resize as drastic as the one you are wanting to do.

sourav

sourav

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi,
Thanks for your suggesion.There are some companies who demands that they can enlarge any small digital jpeg picture as long as a poster size without any quality loss,so there must be a process they follow.
i have thought lot about this process,i think first they scan that picture with some high resolution like 4000 dpi, and then they print the picture with lower resolution like 72 or so,this may be a process.Another process may be the small picture are converted to 35mm film then it is printed,because analouge picture can be resized at any size.But i am not sure about it ,so i want to know the actual process,the above is my opinion,may be it is wrong may be there are some other process..

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

There are some companies who demands that they can enlarge any small digital jpeg picture as long as a poster size without any quality loss,so there must be a process they follow.

companies can demand what they like...HOWEVER there is NO WAY to ADD pixels to an image once it exists...if the resolution is too low on the original then it's going to lose quality on the resize no matter what...

companies that produce VERY large images from pictures require EXTREMELY high quality/high resolution source images

BlackHalo

BlackHalo

• PipPipPip
  • 266 posts
I agree with dsenette. There is no way to blow up a small image (and in print 1800 x 1200 is quite small. A4 at 300 dpi is but 2480 x 3508...) to poster size without some loss of quality. You can print out your file at 6 x 4 inch without loss of quality, but anything much more than that and you're going to have to expect some pixelation. Poster size is achievable, but you will get a very badly printed image. There are some small tips and tricks to reduce pixelation, but you can't avoid it entirely in this case.