Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer freezes for few seconds when AVI/MP3 plays

• Please log in to reply

zevel6

zevel6

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi,

Apologies if this is in the wrong section.

I have recently formatted by computer and reinstalled everything, including Windows XP SP3.
Since then, when attempting to watch a movie (avi) or play an mp3, my computer seems to crash (or skip) at random times in song/film for a few milliseconds, then return to normal. This problem occurs with VLC, windows media player and winamp (the only ones ive tried). Also, when looking at CPU usage, when these 'crashes' happen, the CPU activity seems to rise from 1% to around 30% before going back down.
I have tried updating drivers for audio and video, installing different codecs and using an antivirus but with no luck.
I'm pretty sure its not my computer as this problem never existed before i formatted and the 1gig of RAM i have is more than enough to play a file.

If anyone could help me it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Edited by zevel6, 08 April 2009 - 06:45 AM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hello welcome to GeeksToGo, We will be happy to help you.

We will need some more information
If it is a name brand system:
Make and Model
Operating System
Age of the computer
Memory Total
Hard Drive Size, How much free space

If it is custom then We will need the following:
The CPU brand and model
The Motherboard brand and model
Ram amount and speed
Cd\Dvd rom interface IDE/ SATA
Hard Drive size and free space
Any cards in PCI slots
Any software installed\updated and driver updates done just before problem started

All this will help in determining a course of action to best correct the problem you are experiencing.

zevel6

zevel6

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for the quick reply:

Operating System: Windows XP SP3
Age of the computer: Processor a couple years old, update parts every year.
Memory Total: 1GB Ram
Hard Drive Size, How much free space: 50gb, 20gb free space

If you could help that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Any software or hardware updates right before this issue started.
When did the issue start and if using software what was the software

One issue I see is that you may think about increasing the amount of ram. This will help alittle but not the contributing factor in the issue. Just a FYI for you.
Also would you please let me know what is running on the right bottom of your screen by the clock
Also some buffering will occur when playing video files and that will cause a momentary freeze, as you said a millisecond.
I have 2 gis of memory in my system and I get that also once in awhile. I await your response

zevel6

zevel6

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
The only things running on the right hand corner are: AVG, MSN and netgear.
I understand about buffering may occur, but prior to my format I didn't encounter this problem and videos/mp3s were running smoothly.
As I previously said, this issue started after I formatted and I reinstalled most of the software, I have been thinking about reformatting, but after googling this issue, all I could find was that reformatting doesnt make a difference.

I really appreciate your help, please let me know if you can think of anything else. Thanks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What version of WMP are you using?
VLC I use also and as stated before I get stops when any other programs run as well as the buffering issue.
Try looking at event viewer and see if anything is happening when the freezing occurs. To get to it
Go to Start>Run>type in eventvwr.msc
Look in the software area and see if it shows anything

After that let's try some basic maintenance then
Go to Start>Click on My Computer>>Right click on "C" drive> Properties>Tools
Run the error checking
Run Defragmentation

Post back with results of all the above