Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

help! weird CRT screen resolution problem

• Please log in to reply

juliao

juliao

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello all,

I have a very strange resolution problem on my new machine.
Machine is an ASUS Vintage barebones, with a SIS 661FX graphics adapter, using 128 Mb RAM. Monitor is an old Siemens MCM 1702 that supports up to 1280x1024.

If i set the resolution to 800x600, everything works fine.

If i set the resolution to 1024x768, everything works fine.

If i set the resolution to 1280x1024, windows doesn't complain, but:

1. Resolution indeed changes to 1280x1024, but it's VIRTUAL
2. The screen resolution i see on the monitor doesn't change, i get a virtual screen, 1024x760, and I have to scroll around to see all the desktop...

The effect is the same as I've seen on LCD screens if you set the resolution above the number of pixels on the screen - but my monitor is a CRT!

Can anyone please help, before I go crazy?

Thanks,

Juliao

Advertisements

hudihoo

hudihoo

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
that is not a monitor issue it is most likely a video card issue. Try downloading catalyst it might not work with a video card unless an ATI but i am not sure.

juliao

juliao

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I've solved the problem by installing new SIS drivers and creating a custom monitor.inf file, everything is working ok now.