Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

The slow computer problem

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

pjgoodman2

pjgoodman2

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
Hi all. First time here and I am having a problem. Recently my computer has slowed to a crawl when in startup, shutdown, opening IE or any programs. Basically it's slow to do anything.

I've run smitfraud fix in safe mode, run MalwareBytes in safe mode, run my AVG virus scanner and Kaspersky's on line scan, as well as Spybot, Adaware and A squared trying to find a virus and/or malware infection. Nothing is located. I've cleaned the registry, defragged, stop a bunch of programs from opening at startup and nothing. I know I don't have enough RAM but it was always sufficient for what I've wanted to do.

I'm at a loss :) I have a recent Hijack This! log if that helps. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul

Advertisements

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

pjgoodman2

pjgoodman2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
OK, I'm a bit confused. I downloaded OTMoveIt3 to my desktop as instructed and then double clicked on it to run it and the screen came up with the cursor blinking on the box on the left, but nothing happened. I left it this way for 20-25 minutes and nothing. Was I supposed to do something else?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are in the wrong forum. Go back to malware forum to your topic there. The instructions are on the last post from Rorschach112 there.

smith134

smith134

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
How old your computer ? Can you give full detail of your computer configuration?
Have you checked about bad sector in your hard drive?
Boot your computer with Windows Disk then Go to Recovery Console and try to run Check Disk there.